Thread: Replacing the foam on a Bikini or other older products

Default Replacing the foam on a Bikini or other older products

This is a quick question about an older product so I thought I'd ask the forums since kifaru is really busy and people on hear seem to frequently hack/modify discontinued products.

I have a pair of Bikini's in different lengths and one of them I bought second hand. The lumbar pad feels way less nice than on the one I purchased directly from kifaru some years ago. I guess they might have changed the foam but I also know a lot of foam just starts to deteriorate through compression and time. they look to be the same design but the second hand one is visibly thinner.

I've been just swapping the newer pad into the smaller frame when I use it but is there any way to straight up get a replacement.

As a side question: Do I have have to worry about the foam inside the actual belt or shoulder straps doing this? The pack has held up fine after years of regular use but I've seen the foam in sleeping pads or boots get all crumbly/compressed over time. My nightmare is not being able to use my Bikini and having to get used to a new pack.

Default Re: Replacing the foam on a Bikini or other older products

I've never heard of foam degradation in any Kifaru product, but I have seen mention of lumbar pads of different thicknesses being provided to get the fit right. The second hand Bikini's original owner may have changed that pad out. Give Kifaru a call...

Regards,
    Scott

Ikaretabab,

The Open cell foam in your lumbar pad will compress over time as the cell structure breaks down and with many heavy loads. We can send you a new one so you get that new pack feeling with your old bikini frame. The Closed cell foam in your shoulder straps and waist belt will last much longer as there are less places for the structure to break down and the material has more elasticity. The only way I've seen the closed cell foam break down is through many flights with the bag in the depressurized luggage hold. This takes many flights however, which means the straps can have a proper viking funeral for a life well lived. Shoot me an email and i'll get you hooked up with the customer service guys.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Ikaretabab,

The Open cell foam in your lumbar pad will compress over time as the cell structure breaks down and with many heavy loads. We can send you a new one so you get that new pack feeling with your old bikini frame. The Closed cell foam in your shoulder straps and waist belt will last much longer as there are less places for the structure to break down and the material has more elasticity. The only way I've seen the closed cell foam break down is through many flights with the bag in the depressurized luggage hold. This takes many flights however, which means the straps can have a proper viking funeral for a life well lived. Shoot me an email and i'll get you hooked up with the customer service guys.
    Thank you. Email incoming and I appreciate the background information!