Thread: MOLLE Express vs Pointman

Default MOLLE Express vs Pointman

So, I have both the MOLLEX and the Pointman packs but my wallet (and next project) tells me that one needs to go. The packs are for military use and weights of 40lbs-ish would be the norm.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions/experiences with either pack and if given a choice, what would be your pick?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Default Re: MOLLE Express vs Pointman

I frequently load my Pointman up to 65lbs, and my perception is that it's really comfortable with this weight. The suspension is more robust; the stays slip into pockets in the belt, and the torso length is adjustable, so really, the suspension is a bit of a hybrid of Omni and Duplex suspensions. If you subscribe to the logic that it's easier to compress a large pack than carry a pack that's too small for the load, you arrive at my point of view: If I'd have gotten the Pointman first, I probably wouldn't have gotten my MollEx. But, choices are good, and it's also nice to have a loaner, regardless of what it's for. If you're taller than me (5'10") or may loan it to someone taller, having the torso length adjustment is another pro of the Pointman. I'd call them about equal as far as their ability to compress when under packed...

Advocating the other way, if the most you'll ever carry is 40 lbs, it probably depends on what it's made up of. The MollEx is narrow and nimble. I'm all over the place as far as what I might carry, and therefore this year alone, I've taken out a different pack on about every trip from the MollEx (single overnight) to the Marauder (air travel, beach, fishing trip in a boat hauling tackle and lunches), ZXR (backpack scouting & hunting) , and Duplex (snowshoeing with a 20" chainsaw, fuel, group food, rope, wedges, hammer & tools).
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Pointman all the way...to quote a frequent member on the forum, "the pointman suspension is like buttah"

I have to admit that the Pointman was my first choice. It's better to have that extra space and not need it. I just needed peer reassurance .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Pointman; military field use and civilian overnight

MollEx; military garrison use and civilian day trips