Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru non response/ EDC bag advice

Default Kifaru non response/ EDC bag advice

I sent an email to Kifaru about three weeks ago and still haven't heard anyhting from them. Is that common?

I'm looking for an EDC bag, expecting our first little on next April and would like to use if for the soon to be little one as well as some lighter trips. Anybody currently doing that? I've never owned Kifaru but have been reading up on them and seem like that make a good product with excellent customer service. The latter i haven't received but maybe they are just busy or they don't respond to emails that fast.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Kifaru non response/ EDC bag advice

For EDC I've used the Urban Zippy (UZ) and am currently using the Antero. Each has benefits to the design, the Antero, sleek, water bottle stowage, can take a belt for support and comes with a support sheet. The UZ has great organisation and compartmentalisation, water bottles stowage, more of a traditional day pack shape, with no MOLLE it's obviously a civilian bag but needs the frame sheet and won't take a substantial belt. Both are comfortable and I would happily use either. I only got rid of my UZ to get my hands on a Marauder. I have no experience of the newer small packs.

Afternoon Irish,

Sorry about the radio silence, we're in full swing over here with hunting season coming up. Scoman pretty much nailed it. Both the Antero and UZ fly exceptionally well. The Antero is better for taller people and has more pocket mounting options. The UZ has 3 internal Mesh pockets and fits a smaller person better (especially kiddos). The Xray is definitely more military and as such its built like a tank. I use the Quandary for EDC, especially on the bike. It's expanding side panel make for a small bag 90% of the time and the ability to swallow some more gear if needed (ie, 6 pack on the way home from work on the bike). Shoot me an email and we can talk about the different options if you'd like.
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

I think he wants to pack as a kiddie carrier rather than a pack for the kid to carry in a number of years down the road.

Your best bet is to just give Aron a call (720-937-1418) or customer service. Email is not always a reliable way of getting a hold of folks except maybe Bender. It's also easier to convey exactly what you're looking for over the phone as I'm confused whether you want an EDC or a kid carrier from your earlier posts... It is possible to have something that does both by strapping a Kelty/Osprey/Deuter kid carrier between a frame and a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by larryschwartz View Post
    I think he wants to pack as a kiddie carrier rather than a pack for the kid to carry in a number of years down the road.
    The search function works really well, lots of gems. Here's one that shows little kids on both Bikini and Duplex frames with a Grab It providing the seat.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthre...=Kelty+Carrier

This one shows a Kelty with the Cargo Panel, the way it's rigged, the back legs fold out as intended for standing the pack on the ground.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=31290
    Last edited by robcollins; 08-10-2017 at 01:11 AM.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Sorry I'm looking for for the EDC, but the kid carrier gives me some ideas too... however that may be later on. I'm thinking more for hauling all the baby essentials for the beggining, when they get bigger then look more for the kiddie carrier.

I have tried many bags to use as an EDC/diaper bag. Off the top of my head I can remember trying First Spear Comm pack, GoRuck Bullet 15 and GR1, Kifaru Urban Zippy, OTW, and Antero, plus a number of baby store diaper bags that my wife picked out.

If you have amusement parks in your future or other places you need to go through security the Zippy becomes annoying really quick.
    Too many compartments that you have to open and show them, pretty much emptying the whole pack to do so. Same for the first spear.
    A clamshell design like the Antero or GoRuck makes going through security a breeze. Especially if you either pack it loose or use kifarus mesh pockets to organize the interior so the checker can see everything.
    The OTW was awkward to carry and I ended up using it only as a backup bag in the bed of my truck.

Between Antero and GoRuck, I almost always use the Antero.
    For a newborn, especially if it is your first (Congratulations! by the way), you will probably end up packing a lot of stuff, so any of the GoRucks under a 26 GR1 run out of room pretty quick.
    The Antero has the side pockets, which are generous and very useful. Carrying bottles or whatever inside the GoRuck pack is probably what made it too small. The Antero is a deeper Bullet 15 with side pockets.
    Also, if you plan on running a baby carrier along with the pack, kifarus straps are much lower profile to run over the straps of the baby carrier. The GoRuck straps on top of Carrier straps make out for some serious shoulder pads.
    Also, the Antero has better attachment options in my opinion. GoRucks molle is stupid and only seems to work properly with GoRuck products. The bottom straps on the Antero are perfect for stowing the baby Carrier when not in use. I run an organizer on the molle in the front which has almost all of my EDC in it. And I use a PDW gear trap instead of a grab it because it is a smaller footprint for the smaller pack and it has an additional pocket and attachments if you need to carry extra.
    And lastly the ability to use it with a Omni belt is super. If you going on an all day thing and will be hauling camera or other heavier items the belt really helps with prolonged comfort. Plus you can use belt pouches for instant access to items.

The only downside I have on the Antero is that my wife is very petite and it is too long for her torso, so I am stuck hauling all the time.

Hope that helps somehow

P.S.
    I haven't had a chance to try out quandary but have one on order, if you aren't due until April, I can give you thoughts on that pack after I try it out. My littlest is over a year now, so the smaller pack might work for me.
    Last edited by wchristos; 08-10-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks Great info, yes will be our first. Guess her dad will know that we finally did the deed.... Yea we have til april, I'm gonna keep a watch out for the classifieds for the Antero. and let me know what you think of the quandry.

The Urban Zippy makes a great kid/diaper bag. I have small kids. You can fit bottles/sippy cups inside of the side openings which keep them up right. Plenty of pockets to keep stuff separated so stuff is not falling out when you trying to grab stuff from the main compartment. I also keep a small plastic bag for dirty clothes and when used, I slide the bag into the hydration sleeve to keep it separated from everything else. Wish I would have got it sooner honestly.