Thread: Why is 1000d going away?

Question Why is 1000d going away?

Just read a post saying 1000d "is all but history." But why?

Wouldn't a 1000d pack be more durable and withstand field conditions better? Why get rid of it?

Default Re: Why is 1000d going away?

This question has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum for several years now. Do a search for "1000d" or "500d" and read on for hours.

I won't speak for Kifaru, but my understanding is that the use of 1000D Cordura was important for military customers, but not because the end users abuse the gear harder. Rather, when the gear is transported by vehicle, it is subject to rubbing, dragging, smashing, etc., and that exceeds normal wear and tear in actual use.

In the last few years, I think Kifaru has concentrated more on its recreational customers because military orders, which used to dominate, have tapered off considerably. Recreational users don't really need 1000D, so Kifaru is transitioning to 500D in order to avoid stocking twice as much fabric.

I have Kifaru packs made with the KU "sil-nylon", 500D Cordura, and 1000D Cordura, and all of it is satisfactory for my recreational uses. I agree that 1000D is overkill, and if Kifaru has to choose between 500D and 1000D, I think they're making the right choice (for recreational users, that is).

Regards,
    Scott

Thumbs up Re: Why is 1000d going away?

Understood and thank you, Scott.

Sorry for the superfluous post, I'm new here but should have searched...

Quote Originally Posted by sab View Post
    This question has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum for several years now. Do a search for "1000d" or "500d" and read on for hours.

I won't speak for Kifaru, but my understanding is that the use of 1000D Cordura was important for military customers, but not because the end users abuse the gear harder. Rather, when the gear is transported by vehicle, it is subject to rubbing, dragging, smashing, etc., and that exceeds normal wear and tear in actual use.

In the last few years, I think Kifaru has concentrated more on its recreational customers because military orders, which used to dominate, have tapered off considerably. Recreational users don't really need 1000D, so Kifaru is transitioning to 500D in order to avoid stocking twice as much fabric.

I have Kifaru packs made with the KU "sil-nylon", 500D Cordura, and 1000D Cordura, and all of it is satisfactory for my recreational uses. I agree that 1000D is overkill, and if Kifaru has to choose between 500D and 1000D, I think they're making the right choice (for recreational users, that is).

Regards,
    Scott

Default Re: Why is 1000d going away?

Scott hit the nail in the head. IME, 500d is plenty tough for field use. Where 1000d shines is when the bag is being treated like luggage (frequently being tossed in and out of vehicles, bins, etc in a haphazard manner). BTW, the USMC FILBE pack system is 500d.
    Last edited by steveb; 07-02-2017 at 12:33 AM.