Thread: Scouts 1000d

Default Scouts 1000d

Are the Scouts up for sale now still made of 1000d?

Thanks

Default Re: Scouts 1000d

Yes, except Ranger Green. That's 500D.

Regards,
    Scott

This was a post on the first batch they did so I wasn't sure if they got more 1000d in

Pardner - We are actually so low on 1000d we had to do these in 500 so there wouldn't be confusion as to why some are and some aren't 1000d. The weight savings is nominal. 500 is a lot stronger than most people give credit. You have to remember the scout is almost completely encased in pals webbing with a double layer on the bottom, triple seam reinforcement before binding, #10 YKK zips and the strongest military approved buckles we could find. Short of filling it with rocks and dragging it behind your truck in a sandstone quarry i'll bet good money you can give this pack to your kids when you're done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by crossada View Post
    This was a post on the first batch they did so I wasn't sure if they got more 1000d in

Pardner - We are actually so low on 1000d we had to do these in 500 so there wouldn't be confusion as to why some are and some aren't 1000d. The weight savings is nominal. 500 is a lot stronger than most people give credit. You have to remember the scout is almost completely encased in pals webbing with a double layer on the bottom, triple seam reinforcement before binding, #10 YKK zips and the strongest military approved buckles we could find. Short of filling it with rocks and dragging it behind your truck in a sandstone quarry i'll bet good money you can give this pack to your kids when you're done with it.
    crossada:

Look a little further down in that thread you quoted from, and you'll see that Eric posted this:

Scouts are live on the website. We got them cut up in 1000d for all colors except for the Ranger green. We only have RG in 500d. This is the only run we are planning on doing, so if you want in I would make sure you get in on it. Let me know if you have any questions.

You just needed to read a little further down the thread (and trust the Kifaru store)

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks!

What does it mean when a Kifaru product says 500d or 1000d in one color, but the same product in another color doesn't have any [number-]d notation?

And what does the (d) stand for?

I don't know about any other products, but for the recent limited Scout runs, the Ranger Green fabric was only available in 500D Cordura, while all the others were available in 1,000D Cordura. In other words, the colors that didn't have a d notation were 1,000D Cordura.

The D stands for Denier, which is a way to measure the fibers used to make fabric. It is to fiber sizes what gauge is to wire sizes. 500 Denier means that 9,000 meters of fiber weighs 500 grams. 1,000 Denier means that 9,000 meters of fiber weighs 1,000 grams. In other words, a 1,000D fiber is twice the weight of a 500D fiber of the same length. Since the fiber length is considered the same, the cross-sectional area is twice as large for the 1,000D fiber. Since the fibers are generally round, the diameter is not twice as large, since cross-sectional area is related to the diameter squared; therefore, the diameter of a 1,000D fiber is about 41% larger than that of a 500D fiber. In other words, the 1,000D Cordura is stronger (but heavier) than the 500D Cordura.

Regards,
    Scott

I see - thanks a ton for the detailed explanation, I do appreciate it.