Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking nutrition

Default Backpacking nutrition

Joe Hayes nudged me to post this here. Any of you who've backpacked with me probably have noticed that I like to eat. I'm type 1 diabetic (fricking 4Fs...) and always have my "nut bag" along. Dabbling in being Frankenstein's nutritionist has worked pretty well, bumbling along.

This site is from a guy who's an "ultralight" guy, which I ain't. I'll be investigating how green chili fits into this....

(edit: fixed the link, thanks Joe)
    http://www.adventurealan.com/best-backpacking-food/
    Last edited by robcollins; 05-14-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

Default Re: Backpacking nutrition

Corrected link. http://www.adventurealan.com/best-backpacking-food/

Rob, paste this one and I'll erase this post.

This is the one aspect of back country travel that has vexed me for a while. I like to eat good but don't want a lot of weight and want it to be healthy and not overly processed but also taste good.

I do a lot of real food when I go. As I mentioned, I'm fond of fueling with fat. This is a good recipe for healthy fat, that makes for good trail food as well as something that can be thrown in a soup. Nuts, seeds, eggs, salt. Bake it at 350, then slice it and bag it. Butter it for a treat.... (I might be weird, but, I dig this stuff) http://www.ehow.com/how_12343770_eas...mpaign=fanpage

I've struggled dehydrating high fat content foods, and have tried making nut butters, but have found they are a mess, containers are heavy, and I've had the oil leak, despite what I thought were good containers, and cold weather is when it becomes most painful for me with them.

Roasted vegetables work really well for me, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, zucchini, bell peppers, and ingredients like dehydrated garlic/green chili/onions/s h i take mushrooms can be thrown in for micronutrients & flavor.

Trips to the Asian market yield ingredients like powdered miso, powdered honey (which I can measure to make a cheap, healthy remedy for when I screw up my blood sugar and bonk) and lots of adventures like bonito flakes that I've used to add to a seared brookie to make a chowder along with a little bit of lobster "Better than Bouillon" and butter.

I usually bring some sort of wild game, even ground venison can go in a jerky shooter along with green chili & garlic (I probably am a little too partial to green chili...) and a little olive oil to up the fat calories. I sometimes add powdered habanero to slow my roll, nothing like realizing you've snarfed a 2lb roast in a day...

Other things that I rely on are cheese, some sort of summer sausage, and dark chocolate. (Pound plus bars from Trader Joe's) My carbs are pretty measured, and I try to limit what I bring. (more calories from fat than carbs in dark chocolate by the way) If I'm really watching weight, corn tortillas, or other unleavened bread. I've made noodles, (egg, flour, salt, pinch of baking powder, grandma's recipe) and they dry well without a dehydrator, and reconstitute well in hot water. The down side, for me, wild guess on the carb count, but, in a tipi in the winter, in a tipi, this is a good one.

Tying it all together, I bring Tony Chachere's seasoning, it's good on fish, and pretty much anything. Via is always along, sometimes dried coconut powder too. (carbs and fat) Forgetting the pouch with my seasoning/coffee, sucks. Coffee also is my favorite Jameson mixer too. (as if it needs a mixer....) Something about the inner conflict, caffeine + booze, knock out, wake up, makes for a fun ride.. I always bring cotton string too. Trussing up stuff on a stick is good over a fire or even over/in a stove.
    Last edited by robcollins; 05-15-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    Joe Hayes nudged me to post this here. Any of you who've backpacked with me probably have noticed that I like to eat. I'm type 1 diabetic (fricking 4Fs...) and always have my "nut bag" along. Dabbling in being Frankenstein's nutritionist has worked pretty well, bumbling along.

This site is from a guy who's an "ultralight" guy, which I ain't. I'll be investigating how green chili fits into this....

(edit: fixed the link, thanks Joe)
    http://www.adventurealan.com/best-backpacking-food/
    Rob,
    If you need any help acquiring some good NM green chili this fall, let me know. Happy to help feed the addiction.

z

I've gone on several outings with Rob and I can honestly say I've never starved. I've eaten so well I usually feel like a nap is in order after eating.

The one thing about food is that it's not technically a weight penalty, at least in my mind. It's like water. It's necessary to function but as you consume it, your pack get lighter. As I've gotten older I've leaned more towards taking quality chow vs. something lightweight and easy.

Hit the savory spice shot in Littleton, Rob, and see about some other spices to bring. They've even got a ghost pepper salt, for which " a little goes a long way" becomes an important piece of advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmassaro View Post
    Hit the savory spice shot in Littleton, Rob, and see about some other spices to bring. They've even got a ghost pepper salt, for which " a little goes a long way" becomes an important piece of advice.
    I love that place Kevin, I also get sucked into the store next to it for oils & vinegar, I can't remember buying salad dressing for me since discovering it, the kids still like ranch, I blame their mother. :-)

I've been growing my own ghost and habanero chilis. I pick them, prep them, (pull stems, sometimes the seeds) pop them in the freezer, then "micro smoke" them in the gas grill with a bundle of small twigs off of the fruit trees. Being cold causes the smoke to condense on them quickly. (this works with cheese too, 5 minutes is plenty) Then I dehydrate them and grind them.

As far as green chilis, Pueblo Mosco, from Pueblo, CO. (Sorry Zane, I'm not so snobbish to not eat Hatch chilis, but, gotta pimp my Colorado chilis! Pretty peppy, not quite as hot as a Dynamite, but, I do buy a bushel or two of mild Hatch for my wife who hasn't burnt taste buds like I have)

That nutbread recipe is my single favorite item. Calorically dense, and can supplement anything from oatmeal to soups and replaces Pringles and crackers for me.

Nothing replaces Pringles Rob. NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    Nothing replaces Pringles Rob. NOTHING.
    Joe's joined the Pringles Flava Crew....