Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Kifaru stove?

Default Re: Old Kifaru stove?

yes jason.....when I get a chance this weekend , I'll get a measurement for you, and I'll tell you about some simple mods I have done. When I got a longer pipe as recommended by WoodsWalker......my stove performed a lot better than with the nesting pipes that you have. I recycled my nesting ones when I got the newer roll up type in the length wanted. Basically, with the right draft, I don't have to monkey with it as much....mostly just feed it and enjoy it with out having to kick start it when the stove gets cooler/low on wood.

I hear what rob is saying about the length....I haven't had trouble with it trying to bend, but I think we are talking about few inches longer than the nesting pipes
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

Yes, indeed, an oldie but a goodie. I used that very combination a loooong time ago, mostly on Mt St. Helens in several driving rainstorms and once when the mountain started to shake.

Hi Jason...my roll up pipe is 81 inches long. The one you have might be that long....I see you have a newer fabric tipi and I think Patrick increased the length for the 4- man pipe by a few inches after responding to the results of us "field testers" at the NorthEast Rondy....................Yes, great nights were spent in the Adirondaks mulling tweaks and product ideas with Maestro Smith.

I have two warming trays like you have....i really like that set up for working in the tipi with cooking and staging utensils. It also give you a little reminder to be aware of the hot stove and pipe.

I fashioned a piece of stainless steel that looks a bit like a spackling knife I riveted two prongs ( you could use small bolts and nuts too) to allow the item to be placed over the draft holes under the door....that gives me better control to slow the burn....it has a handle on it so I can move it up and down....if I want to, I can cover all the holes or just reveal a row or two of holes. I use this all the time with the stove .

The last thing I really like is an tube about 14 inches long that I made out of an old Arrow from my archery supplies. I use this to blow air with my mouth into one of the draft holes to help start the fire or to jump start new wood that I put on old coals. Its a big Help! I store it on the stove leg frames while the stove is burning and I whip it out when needed.

I like to pull all the old coals forward then i put new wood in and let it burn front to back if possible. This works great with hard wood that we have here in the east. I have had 45 minute( or longer!) gentle burns with out having to tend the stove.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your Stove!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    Hi Jason...my roll up pipe is 81 inches long. The one you have might be that long....I see you have a newer fabric tipi and I think Patrick increased the length for the 4- man pipe by a few inches after responding to the results of us "field testers" at the NorthEast Rondy....................Yes, great nights were spent in the Adirondaks mulling tweaks and product ideas with Maestro Smith.

I have two warming trays like you have....i really like that set up for working in the tipi with cooking and staging utensils. It also give you a little reminder to be aware of the hot stove and pipe.

I fashioned a piece of stainless steel that looks a bit like a spackling knife I riveted two prongs ( you could use small bolts and nuts too) to allow the item to be placed over the draft holes under the door....that gives me better control to slow the burn....it has a handle on it so I can move it up and down....if I want to, I can cover all the holes or just reveal a row or two of holes. I use this all the time with the stove .

The last thing I really like is an tube about 14 inches long that I made out of an old Arrow from my archery supplies. I use this to blow air with my mouth into one of the draft holes to help start the fire or to jump start new wood that I put on old coals. Its a big Help! I store it on the stove leg frames while the stove is burning and I whip it out when needed.

I like to pull all the old coals forward then i put new wood in and let it burn front to back if possible. This works great with hard wood that we have here in the east. I have had 45 minute( or longer!) gentle burns with out having to tend the stove.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your Stove!
    Thank you for all the information that sounds like you have had a great time with it I look forward to doing the same with mine. If you have pictures to the would be cool ive been looking at them online.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jason..I will give a shot at posting pics....I've never posted pics here, but I'll figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
    Jason..I will give a shot at posting pics....I've never posted pics here, but I'll figure it out!
    Thank you

I have to measure the roll up pipe but marking on it says 4x71 so I am guessing that it is 71 inches long.

Jason, Here are picks of my stove as well as pics of the "draft control paddle" I made

Hey Jason, If you ever decide to sell your pot belly stove..PLEASE let me know! I know you were thinking about getting a lighter packable stove! FYI, there is a 18" Kifaru Smith Cylinder Stove on eBay right now that has never been used in the field and already burned in for a "Best Offer" if your interested...I hope to hear back from you!

Regards,
    Sean

Im going to look at it now. Thank you.