Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discontinuing products people continuously hunt for ?

Default Discontinuing products people continuously hunt for ?

Just a thought, i bought a couple packs back years ago soon after the G2 line came out. They have been good packs and soon after that i started a family and have been raising 3 little ones with hiking camping etc on the back burner. Now that i'm busting out the old gear and thinking of picking up a few items i wish i had purchased with the original packs i find it's all long gone. Normally i accept that things change, and it wouldn't be the first time i missed the boat on something that had it's day in the sunshine then faded into the sunset. In this case however i'm finding the trading post and ebay filled with people looking for lots of the gear that was G2 era 1000D tactical.

From what i understand the company is changing their lineup, or things are in transition and certain materials are harder to get or non existant, or maybe it's lots of other things who knows. It just seems odd to me that something that people are clamoring for can't stir up enough interest if not for current product line re-instatement then how about limited runs? It's not like you would have to re invent the wheel, Kifaru was the company that designed and constructed them for a long time. As far as materials maybe the original sources in certain colors aren't available USA produced like they were, but how about something similar with a note about the sourcing of the materials and just be open about it? Whenever a thread starts about wish lists certain items always pop up on it, seems to be a built in market for certain products that would ease the product demand over used items that you might score a deal on, or maybe you're paying more than new just to have that particular item because it fits a need you have.

I know since i started cleaning off the old gear and thumbing through my Kifaru catalogs from 2007 and 2010 i'd fork over some cash right now if i could order from those catalogs if given the opportunity.....

Just venting so don't mind me, and if you have any 1000D Foliage or CB mini longs, skinny mini's, Pods, lock n loads (why did they discontinue those?) or grab it's drop me a private message i'd like to work something out.

Default Re: Discontinuing products people continuously hunt for ?

Foliage was phased out due to color inconsistencies from the supplier and I believe this was part of the reason 1000d was phased out as well on top of lack of demand. There are a vocal minority especially here on this forum that you are referring to in search of these items and I can tell you if it was representative of actual sales it would've never been discontinued. Like it or not, Kifaru's consumer base has changed however from mostly tactical to mostly hunting.

One such old item I have seen people searching after and paying more than secondary for only 50 or so were made, so even back when they were new there was very low demand. Just because one or 2 guys want it now, doesn't mean there's enough renewed interest for a run. Also, I have seen similar situations where a guy is looking for something particular and then is picky about color, so now you're down in the 10-15 ever made range. Even if Kifaru was to do a limited run it will only be in a color or 2 and those same people wouldn't be happy. People just love to bitch.

I could see them maybe doing a run on the field chair because they are now consistently selling for over retail, so I think the demand is there. Other than that though I don't see anyone searching out any particular item a lot. Frank just told me the other day that he thinks I might be the first person he's seen with a roll-top pod actually on their bag (I keep it on the bottom of my 22 mag on my 26" frame). Does it suck that I probably won't see one in Ranger Green to match my new pack? Yes. Do I blame them? No.

There was a guy a few weeks ago that was over-charging for some old foliage stuff and he might be tired of hearing crickets enough to consider offloading at a reasonable price. You should probably post a WTB post for what you want on both here and Rokslide. Just a warning that if you mix and match 500d and 1000d foliage you may see some pretty dramatic color differences.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman78 View Post
    Frank just told me the other day that he thinks I might be the first person he's seen with a roll-top pod actually on their bag (I keep it on the bottom of my 22 mag on my 26" frame).
    You're not alone lineman78. I'm relatively new to it but since I started buying Kifaru I can't think of a single hunt I've been on when I didn't have a Pod attached to my pack. I find them to be one of the most useful pockets they ever made. A hidden gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler View Post
    You're not alone lineman78. I'm relatively new to it but since I started buying Kifaru I can't think of a single hunt I've been on when I didn't have a Pod attached to my pack. I find them to be one of the most useful pockets they ever made. A hidden gem.
    I'm not sure they're officially being discontinued, but the lack of stock makes me think it's a possibility.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Well i'm kinda gutted a lot of the tactical gear has been discontinued. I was just about to order a mandrake tactical zippy and some mandrake long pockets and bang, gone from the store. Genuinely gutted. I bought a black urban zippy and hate it. It's in a cupboard getting dusty somewhere. I also needed something bigger and all of a sudden most of the pal-bearing tactical packs are gone. And I hate the lock and loads; no where near secure enough for me; i'll take malice clips anyday of the week. So i'm scratching my head wondering what on earth Kifaru are upto.

On a side note, the other account i've had for years, Jahled, can't log in; though i've got a feeling this may be a Safari browser thing, as I was struggling to stay logged in with this account I set up yesterday until I tried Chrome.

But anyway, gutted about the discontinued products. Maybe my timing simply sucks

there is a zippy in mandrake on the for sale section.

Quote Originally Posted by JahledZoo View Post
    I was just about to order a mandrake tactical zippy and some mandrake long pockets and bang, gone from the store. Genuinely gutted.
    As stevep said, there is a tactical zippy that just popped up in Mandrake. The long pockets have been gone from the store for quite a while. I also think Mandrake may also be in the process of being discontinued and honestly I can hardly tell the difference between Mandrake and Highlander in some of the stuff I've had.

It's a shame that they don't offer pre-orders instead of just outright discontinuing their tactical line. They could wait until they sell enough units via pre-order before ordering the material, hardware, cutting and sewing the product. This would ensure that they don't sit on overproduction and would in fact make money.

I know Goruck used to do this before they got overwhelmed. Group members would start threads on specific items to generate interest and once they got 50 or more people on board, they would place the order. How I wish we could do that here.

Only 5 colors will remain...Coyote, Wolf, Ranger, Multicam, Highlander. All of the rest are being discontinued.

I am confused by dropping black from the lineup as it seems the best choice for the edc bags.

I was going to buy a mandrake setup but customer service contacted me saying one of the items was out of stock in that color. I chose to switch the whole order to highlander then because I didn't want to mix and match. I understand they can't carry so many colors though. Just hoping those 5 are here to stay because I don't want to switch colors again lol