Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the fate of roll top pods? Pods in new colors? Pod appreciation

Default Question about the fate of roll top pods? Pods in new colors? Pod appreciation

Other than the frame and suspension system I think my favorite Kifaru product is the roll top pods. It looks like Kifaru no longer sells these pods in OD or CB. I wonder if this is because they are being phased out? I know I would personally love to get a couple of the pods in the new ranger green color. I really wish Kifaru would continue with this particular product line. I wonder if it had marginal sales or there's a reason it seems to be falling to the wayside.

If you don't know anything about the story with the roll top pods you can just use this forum to talk about what a genius idea they are. I though I liked the old style drawstring pods but when I finally had a reason to get a roll top version i was blown away. It really compresses the hell out of your gear and sucks it a flat as possible surprisingly well. I like to put all my light, soft gear in it. it seems like no matter how much I stuff in there the combination of the roll top, compression straps and the "dock and lock" attachments straps suck it down to nothing. You basically have three planes of compression as opposed to 1 or 2 with most pockets, bags or sacks.

I really hope Kifaru has plans to expand the pods line and offer some of the new colors.

Default Re: Question about the fate of roll top pods? Pods in new colors? Pod appreciation

I called this afternoon asking about this, and apparently they're being discontinued.
    I have one medium one, and it's pretty much perfect for what one would generally use something like it for. Kind of a bummer to hear.

Default Re: Question about the fate of roll top pods? Pods in new colors? Pod appreciation

That's too bad. I wonder if they were just not great sellers. RIP

Another great product discontinued. Apparently hunters don't like pockets, pods, or 1000d. (Basically everything I like)

I'm honestly amazed the tactical line is still around.

Quote Originally Posted by ikaretabab View Post
    That's too bad. I wonder if they were just not great sellers. RIP

ikaretabab- They were not great sellers guys. We are constantly trying to get you guys new gear and as such, some of the old stuff gets culled. I wish we had the space to make and store everything you guys like. When we sell only a hand full of a product we need to make choices.

Jorge - The tactical line has dwindled for the fact that the demand has as well. We do not have large unit orders going through where it necessitates having a lot of tactical offerings. For the most part, the soldiers that are still buying gear have very specific needs and we take care of them on a case by case basis. It doesn't make sense for us to keep a bag around from 10 years ago just because a few people want it now. We have to make products that will keep the lights on.

You guys can always email me if you have any questions. Have a good weekend
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

Thanks for being so active on the forums, Bender. There was a decline in Kifaru's presence on the forums after Mel left, so its nice to see you jumping in, here and helping us understand Kifaru's perspective a bit.

Aloha,

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    ikaretabab- They were not great sellers guys. We are constantly trying to get you guys new gear and as such, some of the old stuff gets culled. I wish we had the space to make and store everything you guys like. When we sell only a hand full of a product we need to make choices.

Jorge - The tactical line has dwindled for the fact that the demand has as well. We do not have large unit orders going through where it necessitates having a lot of tactical offerings. For the most part, the soldiers that are still buying gear have very specific needs and we take care of them on a case by case basis. It doesn't make sense for us to keep a bag around from 10 years ago just because a few people want it now. We have to make products that will keep the lights on.

MojoSlim

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Thanks for your reply. I don't resent clearing out old products that aren't moving. I'm sure its vitally necessary to operate any kind of business. The new products and improvements on old products make up for the occasional retired pack or accessory. Though I notice you often retire things once a new "replacement" is about to come out. I don't think there's anything quite like the pods. I have to say I'm surprised they weren't more popular since they were relatively inexpensive and light. I didn't try one until recently and i regret not using them all along.

It would be helpful to give notice before eliminating a product.

I have two roll top pods, I like them a lot, but I also wish they would bring back the drawstring pods too, especially the medium size.

- CrowHunter

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed Bob View Post
    It would be helpful to give notice before eliminating a product.
    History proves again and again this isn't going to happen w/ Kifaru unfortunately.