Thread: Pack for Skinny Guys

Default Pack for Skinny Guys

I need a pack that will fit a 5'9" tall 165 pound male. 33" Waist 33" Inseam.

7 days worth of gear.

For the sake of argument and the fact that my shoulders are killing me from cheaper packs lets consider that the price doesnt matter.

Lay it on me guys. What would you do?

Default Re: Pack for Skinny Guys

Call Kifaru, consider whatever bag you want. I know of one fellow here, Sawtooth, who is 5'7" and 130 lbs, using Kifaru packs, and they fit him perfectly. I can also tell you that if your shoulders are killing you, the pack fit is all wrong. The weight should be on your hips, and the shoulder straps are there to hold that pack in place, rather than flopping around. There should be at least a 1" gap from the shoulder strap to the top of your shoulder.

it's not a problem for these folks. Colin, Frank or Aron can help.
    Last edited by Kmassaro; 05-05-2017 at 08:32 AM.

I am slightly taller but otherwise the same size. I have tried most of the Kifaru internal frame lineup at sometime or another. And I always have a hard time selling any of them off. Believe me, you can find a great purpose (excuse) for any of the packs.

For the amount of gear you want to carry though, I would definitely go with one of the frame/bag setups. I would say one of the larger ones (Mtn Warrior, Argali, Timberline, or EMRII). I recently switched to external frame and wish I would have sooner.
    If you like a narrow system probably the Argali.
    The frame will be the main piece they can help you fit and the bags are more personal preference. Which, especially with this forum, you should be able to sell/trade for something else later on if you decide.
    If your shoulders are hurting, I would guess you need taller stays. I use 26, but you might be able to swing 24.
    I usually use a small belt, but can also use a medium (especially with a couple layers) I have heard of hybrid small-medium belt "smedium" but have never had one. It really depends on how much pals purchase you want.
    Dive in, the water is nice, but be weary. Once you jump in the river of Styx known as Kifarus customer base, I doubt you will ever make it out. My dad gave me my first Kifaru pack (Zulu) almost 15 years ago and although I have other packs, I grab one of my kifarus 99.9% of the time. They can get pricey, but I think that is perspective. I have more money into my packs than my truck and it doesn't bother me one bit. If my truck breaks down at least I can hump home comfortably.
    Good luck and welcome.

Lots of good advice above, and lots of options for 7 days worth of gear. The big variable is the fit of a waist belt, and, luckily, with every Kifaru pack, that can be changed.

Frankly, the EMRII, wouldn't be on my list, because, based on where I go, if I filled it to capacity, it would exceed my legs ability to carry it. I have a 26" Duplex frame, a cargo panel, and bags/pods/pouches to supplement, and there are a LOT of options on bags for that frame, which for me, is comfortable to carry regardless of the load, but, it's still weight, and can still break me off. I also have a ZXR and a Pointman, if I were headed on a 7 day trip, the ZXR would probably be my choice, but, that Duplex can scale up or down across any load you throw on it. Well. Very well.
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

I'm an inch taller and 32" waist. I'm dealing with shoulder issues as well from my army days. I've also got the unfortunate issue of bony hips too. This has led me to try A LOT of packs/pack manufacturers. There is a reason I'm still using Kifaru stuff.
    I think at your height a 24" frame would get you anywhere you need to be. Whatever bag you like is a non issue, it has no relation to fit, only the frame does.
    The composite stays are nice if they fit you, but that's IF THEY FIT YOU. Aluminum is heavy but can be custom bent to match your spine. I'm lucky and the composite ones work for me, but do yourself a favor and research appropriate stay curvature before you invest hundreds in a pack system. You could literally be about to buy a pack that will last you the next decade of hard use, ensure you buy right up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the hip issue too. My hips were absolutely rubbed raw from the bottom of my pack belt rubbing them. Its horrible...

So I had no shoice but to move more of my weight to my shoulders or else literally start bleeding.

people talk about these 60 pound packs and its relative to what weight a guy is.

I'm 165 pounds...thats over a third of my body weight. It affects us smaller guys badly because we still need all of the same gear a 6'2 240 pound guy needs...

Just because we are smaller doesnt mean we need smaller knives, tripods, binos, guns, bullets, tents etc etc..

I am 5'6" but built like a Russian weightlifter. I have packed out 110 lbs measured afterwards, which was well over half my body weight. And I can do it today.

The suspension system is that good. Now, I have very good leg strength, but my lungs are the limiting factor. 60 years and asthma. And I still packed out my elk last year, one half at a time.

Default Pack for Skinny Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Mallardsx2 View Post
    I got the hip issue too. My hips were absolutely rubbed raw from the bottom of my pack belt rubbing them. Its horrible...

So I had no shoice but to move more of my weight to my shoulders or else literally start bleeding.

people talk about these 60 pound packs and its relative to what weight a guy is.

I'm 165 pounds...thats over a third of my body weight. It affects us smaller guys badly because we still need all of the same gear a 6'2 240 pound guy needs...

Just because we are smaller doesnt mean we need smaller knives, tripods, binos, guns, bullets, tents etc etc..
    I agree totally. Being on the smaller side produces some challenges but also benefits.

The Kifaru belt is good for bony hips, Seek outside has a good belt too. Their packs are too 'ultralight' for me though.

You need to ensure your pants belt is low profile too. I've heard the Kifaru belt is nice, I can tell you for sure the HPG under pack belt is bomber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    The Kifaru belt is good for bony hips, Seek outside has a good belt too.
    Hmm, I may have to recommend this to my cousin. He's a skinny guy who loves to hike and travel.