Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for experienced backpacker/hunter in TX

Default Looking for experienced backpacker/hunter in TX

Hey all,

I've been hunting for several years now, and backpacking for longer; but I honestly am not very good at it. In fact, that's a major understatement. I've gone deer hunting 4 years in a row now, bow and rifle, and haven't gotten a thing. I'm mediocre at best with general survival/woodcraft skills. The problem is, I REALLY enjoy it.

That being said, is there anyone around the Ft. Hood, TX area that would be interested in going out with me? I'm in Afghanistan until Oct.-Nov. timeframe, but after I get back I'd be up for pretty much anytime I can escape the horde of small children running my house. Doesn't matter what the game is, or if we're just going hiking, experience is experience.

Default Re: Looking for experienced backpacker/hunter in TX

I'm in OR or I'd offer to get out too, but know you're not the only one. Any critter I've killed has been total luck. I get in the woods during season and feel like I've got no clue what I'm doing. Just stay at it man. Pick an area and learn it, something with antlers will be by before long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Corin View Post
    Hey all,

I've been hunting for several years now, and backpacking for longer; but I honestly am not very good at it. In fact, that's a major understatement. I've gone deer hunting 4 years in a row now, bow and rifle, and haven't gotten a thing. I'm mediocre at best with general survival/woodcraft skills. The problem is, I REALLY enjoy it.

That being said, is there anyone around the Ft. Hood, TX area that would be interested in going out with me? I'm in Afghanistan until Oct.-Nov. timeframe, but after I get back I'd be up for pretty much anytime I can escape the horde of small children running my house. Doesn't matter what the game is, or if we're just going hiking, experience is experience.
    Corin you should move to Colorado. We have so many Kifaru folks out here its insane. If you ever plan a trip to Colorado to chase elk happy to have you in my camp. Thank you for your service also.

Corin, tell us a bit about what you've been hunting, how and where? I've taken over a dozen bowhunters to Shiloh Ranch in Oklahoma hog hunting for their first bowkills, including one fellow in a wheelchair. Shtfco shot a tasty pig bedded in a little cave 2 years ago....one of the coolest things I've seen.

Also consider pronghorn hunting. A great hunt for a newbie, one of the tastiest animals in the country. The benefit: you'll see animals, the trick is getting close enough to them to shoot one.

Once you answer those questions, I'll make a few more comments.

Corin,

To hunt in TX you basically have to know someone who has land and will let you hunt on it, rent a deer lease or get a guide. There is hardly any public land here in Texas. To get the experience and "tips-n-tricks" you're looking for, hiring a guide might be your best bet. Go to the Rod and Gun club on Ft. Hood and see what they have to offer. At a minimum they'll offer the TX Hunters Safety Course.

I'm only a couple of hours away from Ft. Hood and know/work with several guides. PM me and we can talk more.

Stay safe over there!
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

Quote Originally Posted by Kmassaro View Post
    Corin, tell us a bit about what you've been hunting, how and where? I've taken over a dozen bowhunters to Shiloh Ranch in Oklahoma hog hunting for their first bowkills, including one fellow in a wheelchair. Shtfco shot a tasty pig bedded in a little cave 2 years ago....one of the coolest things I've seen.

Also consider pronghorn hunting. A great hunt for a newbie, one of the tastiest animals in the country. The benefit: you'll see animals, the trick is getting close enough to them to shoot one.

Once you answer those questions, I'll make a few more comments.
    Sorry for the delay in reply. The majority of my hunting has been on Ft. Hood, I get the hunting/fishing permits, and hog hunt with my bow year round (which only means 3-4 trips) Once deer/turkey season starts, I usually get at least one day trip with my bow, and then 2 of the guided hunts. Guided hunts on Hood consist of a guide taking you to a deer stand and dropping you off. You can't go outside of 100 yards of the stand. The only time you can use a rifle is on those guided hunts though.

I've seen a lot of deer on the guided hunts, but most of the areas on Hood you can only shoot buck, and all the ones I see don't meet the requirements. I've gotten the fun of having deer walk up within 10' of me, and one buck literally danced in front of my stand, maybe 40' out, for 10 mins. That one was 'slightly' frustrating.

My boar hunts have been roughly the same, just generally stretched over a couple days. Hog is the only thing you can stay in an area overnight for, and fishing. I've only found some hogs three of the times I've been out; and only was able to close on them once. Of course, I missed! I did find a nice rangefinder buried in the dirt though.

As for pronghorn, yeah, sounds fun! Don't really know where I could go though. I know it's possible to go public land hunting in other states, I just don't know the process. I just love getting out there. (which is good, cause if I did it for the thrill of the kill I'd probably have stopped by now >.<)

JUST STAY AT IT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're continuing to hunt at Fort Hood, you're seeing game, just not big enough to shoot. I would not be moving around, as those are stand areas that gets some pressure, and so, the animals are likely on red alert, too. If you can hunt during the rut, do anything you can to get does in, as the bucks will show up looking for the does. Can you bring corn? If so, I'd bring a lot, and run a small line from a trail or two 100 yds out or so.....the does will come in, as will the hogs.

I grew up in Texas, and we didn't try to find them on foot. Between limited visibility and thick brush, and swirling winds, we were almost always better off letting them come to us. If you're in an area where you can see 100 yds or better in the woods, sometimes spot and stalk works. But deer are so darn wary, that's not easy.

I'll suggest you get a leafy suit. They seem to work very well for me. You can find one on the internet for $50, money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmassaro View Post
    If you're continuing to hunt at Fort Hood, you're seeing game, just not big enough to shoot. I would not be moving around, as those are stand areas that gets some pressure, and so, the animals are likely on red alert, too.
    ------------------------------------
    I'll suggest you get a leafy suit. They seem to work very well for me. You can find one on the internet for $50, money well spent.
    I've heard before that Texas is really difficult to spot and stalk. I've just assumed I'm not very good at it. I got really close to one group of hogs, but that's the best I've done.

Leafy suit...gillie suit? same thing?

Less material and lighter. The ghillie has a lot of stuff to collide with a bowstring and to me, it looks awful hot. Snipers have my respect for sitting still all day with those things on. You can google ASAT leafy suit, or look at Cabelas/Bass Pro, etc, under leafy suit and you'll see.

Hogs are almost impossible to stalk if they are up and walking. If they are bedded, you can get close enough to shoot. I've killed several on foot at less than ten yards by spotting them in their midday beds and shooting. If they are up, one of them will likely catch your movement and spook the rest.

If you're hunting during the rut, you might call or rattle in a buck. I'm not sure a predator call would work for pigs as they'll know to the inch where you're calling from. But you might try.

Good luck.

Hence, if you're trying to sneak up on them when they are on foot, I'm not surprised you're getting busted. To quote the late, great Timberline when talking about sneaking up on deer: "We're part time hunters. They're full time deer."

In an area near a stand, a pig will notice anything out of the ordinary. Where we hunt, they will almost always look at the ladder stands when approaching.
    Last edited by Kmassaro; Yesterday at 05:15 AM.