Thread: 500 Miles of AT or A Few Weeks Tackling 14'rs

Default 500 Miles of AT or A Few Weeks Tackling 14'rs

So in about two months I'm planning on a 4-6 week trip. Either gonna hike from Springer Mountain, Georgia to the VA state line or a little further, or travel around CO hitting up some 14'rs. Any Colorado guys tell me about some places to hit up. Id certainly wanna get in some fishing too. Maybe even spend some time spotting wild life. I'd wanna fly into Denver to stop by the Kifaru shop. I know from there I'd like to summit Capitol Peak. Don't think I'd wanna travel much further than that being most of my travels will be done by taxi/bus/or some other form of public transportation. I've literally just brought the idea of Colorado into the mix so any information could be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: 500 Miles of AT or A Few Weeks Tackling 14'rs

If you're around Capital Peak, my bet is all of those lakes are tough fishing, if there's anything in them at 12k' +. Haven't been there. Have been in between Crested Butte & Crystal a lot, but getting there from where you are needs an ATV or Motorcycle or locked/high clearance 4wd. There's more country than you can cover between Lake City and Ridgeway than you can cover in your life, that just turns into a Google Map exercise.

Any other peaks you're looking at to give an idea of other areas?
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

Thanks for the response Rob. I was thinking Mt. Evans, and Longs Peak being they look closer to Denver then Capitol Peak. I'm completely ignorant to elevation changes looking for fish or wild life. Highest I've ever been was like 6700ft which I typically find wildlife regularly. But never fished streams or lakes over 4000ft.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

If you're going to climb 14-ers in early June, be prepared for lots of snow and ice. The higher lakes will likely still have ice but lower elevation lakes will be open. The rivers that aren't tailwaters will be in full runoff, so you'll be limited in where you can fish, especially if you're limited to public transportation. By July things will be better as far as runoff in the rivers, snow on the trails, and ice on the high lakes. So if you choose the CO high country and can delay the start of your trip until early July, you'll have a better go of it.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

Yea I dunno I'm thinking maybe I should plan a bit for a trip out west. My time off is coming quick so I'm second guessing where to go. Probably gonna stick it out on the AT. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

You could have a great time out here in June, but if your plan is to climb 14ers and fish high lakes there will still be lots of snow and ice up there.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

And as far as 14ers go, Pikes and Evans both have roads up them which to me takes away some of the grandeur. Let us know your plans and we can gladly help!