Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Marking on packs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    25

    Default Marking on packs

    Just wanted to get some input on the subject of marking on packs. I know in my case I don't remove tags or write on any of my packs, I just haven't seen the need but I understand why someone may want or need to. Lately I've passed on a few packs due to writing, mostly sharpie and primarily people putting their names or other information on a pack. How does a pack with writing on it when you buy it second hand affect your evaluation of the pack? To me it would have to be a real deal to consider it, but what is your opinion? This post is just for fun and to satisfy my curiosity not to point out any specific pack or trade so if you have a drawer full of sharpies at home please don't take it personally. 😁

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    La Grande
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: Marking on packs

    It's worth consideration of a discount. I think in the woods the elk don't care what is written on your pack though.
    And hey, maybe someone may find you pack someday and call the guy who sold it to you, who then gets in contact with you! The people this forum usually attracts would get it back to you in a second.
    This has me thinking of marking the back of my lumbar pad as another for sale thread has mentioned. All of my worldly goods were in a storage unit at one point, while I was in Afghanistan, that was robbed clean by what the police called a "crystal meth family mafia". Later what little was recovered was then misplaced by the city evidence division over the time I was still overseas. IDing my high end outdoor gear was top on my priority list. I lost stuff mostly to the robbers but also to the black hole of an evidence building. To be able to pick up a pack and rip the pad down exposing my name would have gone far that time.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    1,666

    Default Re: Marking on packs

    I got an OD Military Division Marauder for $50.
    1. Shoulder straps cut off, but left plenty of strap to put X-Ray straps on it. The lifter straps are intact. (The shop had OD X-Ray straps, haven't added lifters back, need OD webbing, not sure about attachment.. Point: KIFARU fricking ROCKS!)
    2. Horizontal compression straps cut, left 2 columns of PALS where they attached on the outside of the beavertail (replaced with unattached web, 2 male buckles)
    3. flocked the PALS with gray Krylon
    4. Name written inside the beavertail in black sharpie
    5. Came with 3 Omni belts, one that had the deltas cut off. (good thinkin' there)

    I will use the everlovin' piss out of this pack. Personalize them all boys, heck, sew in My Little Pony patches like the TAD/PDW crowd. it ruins 'em... Might as well throw 'em away....
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    1,666

    Default Re: Marking on packs

    Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    It's worth consideration of a discount. I think in the woods the elk don't care what is written on your pack though.
    .... To be able to pick up a pack and rip the pad down exposing my name would have gone far that time.
    Consistency is key. I write my info on the inside of zipper flaps. Black it out with a sharpie if you sell it. More visible than a belt flap.. I dread getting stuff swiped...
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Marking on packs

    Interesting topic, thanks for posting. I'm gonna think on this one a while as I also hate doing that kind of stuff to my gear but also fear losing it... I guess I have pictures of everything in a file in a safe that have serial numbers for most things


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    333

    Default Marking on packs

    As long as the name is printed in a discreet location where one won't see it without fully examining the pack, then it'd make no matter to me. If their name is stitched in the bag or their favorite quote I wouldn't purchase the bag. At that point of personalization I feel like that pack is like your old dog. Give it away, abandon it, lose it in a divorce, that old dog will be searching you out till it's final day. Wouldn't serve another man proper in my opinion. I'm weird about packs. Packs have personality, and I tend to treat my packs like little people. So when I'm looking to purchase a used pack, and their name, and/or quotes stitched on the bag it feels personal to me. Like I'm adopting their child. Just gets weird for me at that point.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    141

    Default Re: Marking on packs

    Personally, If it is written on the inside or in my case behind the lumbar pad, I don't think it really takes away from the value of the pack. One of the main reasons I put my name or initials and phone number somewhere on the pack is because they ARE so valuable. If someone steals a $500 bag I'd like to have some chance of getting it back. I have this habit that probably dates back when I was a kid with a brother who was only a year apart. My mom put our names on everything. It progressed from there, names on soccer balls, bags, jackets, and now I put my name or initials on just about everything I buy. It also helps at the hunting camp when someones like who's this jacket for? oh its for 84jeep. I even write "Stolen from: Name and phone number" on the bottom of my expensive ice chests, those damn things are stupid expensive.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    1,666

    Default Re: Marking on packs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jauwater View Post
    As long as the name is printed in a discreet location where one won't see it without fully examining the pack, then it'd make no matter to me. If their name is stitched in the bag or their favorite quote I wouldn't purchase the bag. At that point of personalization I feel like that pack is like your old dog. Give it away, abandon it, lose it in a divorce, that old dog will be searching you out till it's final day. Wouldn't serve another man proper in my opinion. I'm weird about packs. Packs have personality, and I tend to treat my packs like little people. So when I'm looking to purchase a used pack, and their name, and/or quotes stitched on the bag it feels personal to me. Like I'm adopting their child. Just gets weird for me at that point.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My son will get this one.... Along with a few really nice knives, guns, worn out bikes/boots/skis/clothes. But the Scout won't be worn out..


    I have to really like a piece of gear to start sewing stuff on it, and what's good for me is probably pretty douchey for anyone else. But, I collect and use my stuff, the notion of selling some of my packs makes me feel a little sick to my stomach, based on the miles I've carried them and the memories, but mostly how well it really works well for me...
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    333

    Default Re: Marking on packs

    Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    My son will get this one.... Along with a few really nice knives, guns, worn out bikes/boots/skis/clothes. But the Scout won't be worn out..


    I have to really like a piece of gear to start sewing stuff on it, and what's good for me is probably pretty douchey for anyone else. But, I collect and use my stuff, the notion of selling some of my packs makes me feel a little sick to my stomach, based on the miles I've carried them and the memories, but mostly how well it really works well for me...
    I'm the same way. I once sold a pack, that I had some patches sewn on. I think about that pack almost everyday, haha. I hate selling packs too. But my addiction to them, and low funds at times pushes me to sell. Then later regret.

    Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    La Grande
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: Marking on packs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jauwater View Post
    I'm the same way. I once sold a pack, that I had some patches sewn on. I think about that pack almost everyday, haha. I hate selling packs too. But my addiction to them, and low funds at times pushes me to sell. Then later regret.
    Aint that the truth!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •