Thread: Sesamoid Bone Fracture... tips? Tricks to recovery?

Default Sesamoid Bone Fracture... tips? Tricks to recovery?

So I suffered an "over-use" injury in 2014/15 in which I somehow fractured a sesamoid bone in my right foot. Google it, it's really a thing. In early March I did it again, in actuality the podiatrist thinks it never healed in 2015. Last Friday they removed the bone. Supposedly its only few weeks before I am back on my feet working towards fitness again.

My question is, has anyone here every experienced this, what outcomes did you have and what did you do to get back to 100 (ish) %?

How quickly can I really expect to recover?

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks!

MNKY

Default Re: Sesamoid Bone Fracture... tips? Tricks to recovery?

I've not had a Sesamoid fx before, but I've broken other bones. I think with the location of the bone removed being in a weight bearing area, taking your time to heal and get back at it should be done while following strict instructions from your MD. I know that is a given and I'm sure you already know that, but my 8 years as a medic in the army showed me that men will almost always push it harder and faster than they should. With proper healing perhaps you could get to being pain free before long.

I got a Jones fracture in Iraq but couldn't afford to not be operational so I just dealt with it. Now i'll get a shock of pain there every now and then. The kind of perk you up with sweat kind of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    but my 8 years as a medic in the army showed me that men will almost always push it harder and faster than they should.
    Its like you know me... 18 years in... supposed to do an APFT at the end of may and a 20 mile foot march shortly there after. Avoiding a profile, as a guard guy, the fight to go to AT gets tough with a profile that close to start day.

Thanks for your feed back. J.

Now it's on you to apply it. Screw your APFT, and I'm sure you've walked 20 before, nothing to prove. Do what you have to to maintain your body, it's the only one you get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sorry to hear that--I've dealt with sesamoiditis for years now but have so far avoided a fracture. Hopefully your podiatrist will have a good orthotic guy available to design an insert that will off-load the ball of your foot somewhat. I'd also get some feedback from him about footwear--it's possible that you'll need boots with a bit more rocker and also more room in the toebox in case your big toe starts to "cock up" more during your stride.

Otherwise, some very good advice from others already--best of luck!

Removal is the quickest way to heal it. Now it is only a "flesh wound" and you won't hurt yourself by pushing it if it is solidly healed.

An update from my end... Surgery was on the 7th, stitches came out last Wednesday. I was told to "transition" out of the boot through the weekend which I probably over did. I am still experiencing some tingling in my big and next toe and it is painful to walk on the ball of the foot. I have been walking on the outside of the foot a lot and am trying to force myself to not roll out like that as much. Each day is a little better than the day before but at the end of the day a little bourbon and some Tylenol go a long way.

I have not used any prescription pain meds throughout the entire process, the feeling from taking Norco is not good for me. All in all, I am trying not to push it too hard but I have stuff I want to do! I am signed up for a Train to Hunt 1 July and need to be getting some miles on my legs sooner rather than later...

Of course you can do other exercises that don't stress your toe. A sesamoid bone, by the way, is a bone inside a tendon. The patella is a good example of a large one. Others vary in size and location, but are not needed for function.