Thread: silniylon rook

Default silniylon rook

I've been lookin for a new solo/two person tent recently. Trying to get some real thoughts on silnylon. I am worried about sagging and condensation. It seems to be an issue, but everyone just Deals with it? Why doesn't anyone use polyester coated with silicone, just weight? I would personally rather carry 2 extra pounds and be dry. I'd like to hear from some people who have actually used/tested silnylon tents. One walled/two walled?

Default Re: silniylon rook

Good ventilation is key,sometime by raising the bottom of the tent with guyouts line,liners(double wall) are wonderful.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

My silnylon Copper Spur 3 doesn't have any of the problems you mentioned - it's well-vented and double-walled. My Kifaru tipis kinda have those "issues", but I'll trade them any day for a warm stove and an 80F space to hang out in (which, by the way, takes care of the aforementioned "issues" - fire up the stove and all is dry and comfy).

I have a mesh inner sil outer 2p freestanding. I'm in Pacific northwest and waited out plenty of rain in it, none of the issues you spoke of. I always stay dry, great ventilation etc. Even the single wall tarptent double rainbow performs extremely well in wet conditions.
    Nothings impossible, just expensive.

Aron and Brian Call had a video talking about this just a couple of weeks ago. One of the things mentioned was the type of ground the shelter is pitched on. Dry ground = little condensation. Grass or damp ground = lots of condensation.

The issue is not sil-nylon. It is the single skin that reaches all the way to the ground all the way around. With the right conditions there will be condensation. A liner just means that it doesn't fall on you, but it is still there. Getting enough ventilation, in damp conditions, to prevent condensation while maintaining wind resistance and bug protection is a tall order. I have had times when I get some degree of condensation on the underside of my hammock tarp!