Thread: 2017 Colorado Rendezvous

Default 2017 Colorado Rendezvous

The Granddaddy of all Kifaru Rendezvous will commence the weekend before Memorial Day, as per tradition. That means the Sat/Sun of May 20/21. I will be on site the Wednesday afternoon prior, getting set up, and as always welcome helper companions.

There will be a new location this year. This move is necessitated by the Forrest Service closure of all the little two-track pathways to our campsites at the old location. The new rules specify camping no more than one car length off the designated Forrest Service roads. That simply won't do, so we are forced to move to a less "civilized" venue. Colleague Paul Vertrees (Sawtooth) has located just the spot! The shooting range will safely accommodate 1000 yards and beyond, with no chance of interference from other campers...of which there will be none. None at all. The travel time is one hour further than the old location.

There are plenty of campsites and fishing is nearby. As before, bring your own water, food (traditionally we all share many pot-luck dishes), porta potty, shelter, etc., etc.

Contact angie@kifaru.net to register; you will be sent travel directions and more information as we near the Event.

Default Re: 2017 Colorado Rendezvous

Patrick,

Will you be bringing things like stickers, patches, nalgenes and such for purchase?

Thanks!

I haven't been to one of these for a few years. Will do a day trip this year to see the gang.

Don, let me know when, and I'll have a 21 day aged ribeye ready for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman22 View Post
    I haven't been to one of these for a few years. Will do a day trip this year to see the gang.
    You'll need to get there by 6:00 AM so we can fire the "opening salvo."
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

Oh, Oh...looks like my plans for the ronde are in jeopardy. Looks like a significant family event on the 20th. I'll know more later this week.

ATTENTION 2017 RONDY PARTICIPANTS

Due to inclement weather, the Rondy is going to be postponed. Patrick is at the site right now and it is less than ideal for the planned shenanigans. Once we have more information on new dates we will post in this thread. Angie is going to follow up with people that emailed her for directions. If you guys want to pass the word to the usual crew it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    ATTENTION 2017 RONDY PARTICIPANTS

Due to inclement weather, the Rondy is going to be postponed. Patrick is at the site right now and it is less than ideal for the planned shenanigans. Once we have more information on new dates we will post in this thread. Angie is going to follow up with people that emailed her for directions. If you guys want to pass the word to the usual crew it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Bummer, Mr Bender, I live not far away from the site. We had about 6-8 inches snow last night here in South Park and everything is soggy.
    The dirt roads will be a muddy mess for a few days. Glad I checked the Forum for this update, I was going to head out a little early on Friday.

Good call. You DO NOT want to drive the dirt roads leading to the rondy after 6-12" of sloppy late May spring snow. You would spend the next week or so digging out of the mud. The good news is that those same roads dry out rather quickly. I used to live in a log cabin about five miles or so away the spot. In May of 1998 we got 3' of snow. So, once every 20 years or so isn't too bad!
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com