Thread: 24 or26 duplex

Default 24 or26 duplex

I thought I was being smart and rushed an ebay purchase on a gen 2 duplex frame 24" for my son. I thought i was buying the same frame that I have, but I didn't have access to it and had to go back to my kifaru log in to figure out mine is actually a 26".
    My son is the same height as me, 6'1". I think I should try to find a 26" to trade for, but if not, what would be the disadvantages of running a 24" for someone 6'1"?
    Last edited by hawkhunts; 03-25-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Default Re: 24 or26 duplex

It's more about torso length, but really a 24" frame should be fine for all but maybe 5% of what the average guy in the backcountry carries. And when it's not enough, so it's 'slightly' less comfortable, oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    It's more about torso length, but really a 24" frame should be fine for all but maybe 5% of what the average guy in the backcountry carries. And when it's not enough, so it's 'slightly' less comfortable, oh well.

+1 to this, but in truth, the yoke that the shoulder straps attach to will adjust to fit whatever torso length with the 24" frame, but the 26" will have more frame to spread the load across. The 26" gives the option of carrying taller loads and shifting that weight to your hips. If he's able to fit the same load on a 2" shorter frame, he's golden. The trade off with the 26" frame is that it's less nimble. There's times that drawing a bow, or busting brush, that extra 2" is a pain.
    Forgive those who aren't sorry, accept apologies never received....

I just watched a video with Aron Snyder from Alpha bowhunting where he explains a little bit about frame height and what not it's a good watch and would fit your question pretty well I think. Here is the link. https://youtu.be/ePEImltWGXg
    I think basically as long as you have enough frame above the height of the shoulders that you get a good load lifter angle to transfer the weight from your shoulders to your hips you should be fine. Frame length is based more on your torso length then your overall height.

Yes, torso length is what really matters. Measure your torso length correctly (google it) and add 6 inches. This is your ideal frame height. For example, if you have a 19 in torso, a 25 inch frame ideal. So either 24 or 26 will work. Less than 19 go with 24, more then go with the 26. Taller is not always better. If your lifter angle is greater than 45 degrees, the pack stability will decrease, it will tend sway from side to side. The reason why 45 degrees is ideal is because the total combination of vertical (lift) and horizontal (stabilizer) vectors is maximized. ( sin45 + cos45 is greater than any other angle, for math geeks)
    Last edited by steveb; 04-19-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Clarification

Just got a 24 in frame and it fits perfectly, top of frame at eye level. For reference I'm 5'9" with a 18.5 in torso.

I also just got my 24" frame and it fits perfectly as well. I'm 5'11" 175lbs no idea of torso length but the top of frame is just below eye level. Plenty of lift for me

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Just got a 24 in frame and it fits perfectly, top of frame at eye level. For reference I'm 5'9" with a 18.5 in torso.