Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which slick bag?

Default Re: Which slick bag?

Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    I've been thinking about this lately. Last weekend down to around freezing I had a 30 degee mountain hardware down bag with a doobie on top of that inside the military bivy. It was obviously enough insulation, but when I moved and the doobie got pushed around, I'd get some pretty noticeable cold spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is precisely what I'm concerned about. The military surplus sleep system does a few things very well, and a couple things very poorly, the things it does well is dry you while you sleep, be waterproof with the bivy, and you are able to exit quickly if necessary and it keeps itself snapped together very well to stay organized and insulated. The things it does poorly is keep its weight down and keep you warm down to below zero even with all of the insulation layers available.

I'm seriously considering just swapping out one of the military sleep system bags for the slick bag on the inside for whatever season is applicable. That thick black or grey bag depending which military surplus edition someone has is ridiculously heavy with no great warmth benefit.

Yeah the MSS sleeping bags are terrible but the bivy is rock solid.

I use the green patrol bag over my 40 year old zero? degree down bag inside the bivy down to -20F. -20 is winter so the extra 4lbs is being carried in a pulk and not as big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    I use the green patrol bag over my 40 year old zero? degree down bag inside the bivy down to -20F. -20 is winter so the extra 4lbs is being carried in a pulk and not as big a deal.
    I wonder when they switched from down to synthetic. I get the reasoning but the MSS that was available when I was in seemed to be grossly overestimated.

Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    I wonder when they switched from down to synthetic. I get the reasoning but the MSS that was available when I was in seemed to be grossly overestimated.

My old down bag is a Sierra Designs not USGI. Older center zipUSGI ECW and ICW where down. I've seen ICW that used synthetic insulation. This has a little bit of history on USGI bags http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_sleeping_bag.php
    Last edited by Robbie; 04-04-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Thank you guys, I appreciate it!