Thread: Flying with a Marauder BackPack

Default Flying with a Marauder BackPack

Hi there!

Has anyone ever flown with a Marauder backpack?
    Does anyone had trouble boarding the backpack as hand luggage?
    I'll fly with Ryan Air.
    Thanks for your help.
    Don
    Last edited by donuzzo; 02-17-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Default Re: Flying with a Marauder BackPack

I have flown many times with a Marauder with no problems.

oz

Many thanx!

May I ask if you have carried it as hand luggage or as an accessory backpack?
    I mean besides tha hand luggage.

Don-- It will be worth carefully checking Ryan Air's regs both in terms of dimension and weight...they're notorious for being "bag Nazis," much more so than any US domestic carrier that I'm familiar with. Otherwise, good luck with the trip--I'm headed to the UK with my Marauder as well...a great bag, but given the amped political climate I might call an audible and go with something I can "hippie-flage" a bit easier.

So, assuming that you have checked Ryan Air's baggage allowance, the spec size of the Maurader fits within their limits quite neatly. The problems could come with how you pack it and how full the flight is and whether you get on fast enough to get locker space. I have flown with a small 20litre bag and been too slow getting on and found that others who maxed out their allowance had used all the locker room. My bag had to be taken away by the flight crew. I wasn't charged for it though. Have taken the Zulu on Ryan Air, but only as Checked Baggage where I made sure all the webbing was wrapped up tight.

Found this. Pretty much says it all, very clear:
    https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...ge-can-I-carry

I have flown on other, non-low cost, airlines with my Zulu G1 and had only two negative experiences. One, a remark by a fellow passenger about how big the bag was (had the XTL and my coat strapped to it) and on that flight it wouldn't fit into the overhead bins on the window side which had smaller door openings than those for the central block of seats. If I had been packing a smaller bag, no problem for either one. Just don't pack it till it is bulging, dimensions are measured by placing in a metal basket, so a seam to seam size that is okay may not fit if you have bloated it with packing I would not "test" Ryan Air and expect to get away with anything.

No one looked twice at me with an OG bag covered in webbing.
    Last edited by C_Claycomb; 03-21-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Don,

Yup, flown many times on Ryan Air with my original Marauder, out of Hahn, DE, without any problems. I used it as my one carried on bag. The Ryan Air people are notorious for sticking to their rules at Hahn, other airports, not so much. The "original" Marauder is about one inch thinner from front to back. Should not really have any problems with the subsequent models. Here's a tip for flying Ryan Air; wear as much of your clothing as possible. Put all your lightweight stuff in your one carried on bag. Remember; you are allowed "ONE" carried on item. They really mean it too. I've seen many a upset tourist paying 35Euro to check their carry-on baggage because they had a purse or computer bag that wouldn't fit into their carry-on. Also, bring some Euros for the flight. All refreshments cost extra, plus you can buy some Irish National Lottery tickets . . .

Fun story; got a compliment on my OD Marauder from a cute Dublin lass . . . If only I was about thirty years younger and not married with children! ; )

Take care and good luck flying on Ryan Air! Let us know how your trip goes.
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."