Thread: Aluminum vs carbon stays

Default Aluminum vs carbon stays

Debating the two for hunting. I am a guy that hunts day hunts primarily, but am looking to get into 1-3 nighters. Buying a 24" hunting platform and not sure which stays to go with. Any advice appreciated. Alan

Default Re: Aluminum vs carbon stays

If you are talking buying a new frame, check with the shop but I believe they are delivered with the same curve. If so then the only difference is the carbon is several ounces lighter, and in terms of feel you won't notice it.

Several ounces lighter and many dollars more expensive. I've got and used both stay systems. I really like the carbon stays in my KU3700 and it's perfect with the entire light-weight approach to the pack. I've got Al stays in all my military packs and they are very rugged and work well in that environment.

I guess what I'm tying to say is that I'm sure most people will notice the weight difference unless it is a specifically designed as a light-weight pack.

Hope this helps,
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

Alum adds a little weight but provides for a "perfect" custom bent fit if the pre-formed Composite Stays don't match your back curve perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone I appreciate the info. Decided on the aluminum. Figured I could always pick up a set of carbons later if needed. Alan

Quote Originally Posted by digemout View Post
    Alum adds a little weight but provides for a "perfect" custom bent fit if the pre-formed Composite Stays don't match your back curve perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EXACTLY what I always preach!!! Save a few ounces and get an OK fit? Or... Carry a few ounces more but be able to get an Absolutely perfect custom fit to your back? For me it's a no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    EXACTLY what I always preach!!! Save a few ounces and get an OK fit? Or... Carry a few ounces more but be able to get an Absolutely perfect custom fit to your back? For me it's a no brainer
    Has anyone tried to use a heat gun or any other means to slightly bend the carbon fiber arrows??

No, but I wouldn't expect it to work well. Arrows are made of carbon/epoxy composite, neither of which are formable with heat. The whole point of carbon is that it is super stiff and once set in place does not bend. If you want it curved, you have to lay it up in that shape, or apply enough force to flex it, then hold it like that while it is forever trying to straighten out. There are pack frames that use flexed carbon, but the material is chosen to allow for flex and I think that arrows are chosen to be stiff.