Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor?

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennGTR View Post
    Been looking at the ballistics on this fairly new cartridge and like what I am seeing. Savage makes a stainless Ultra Lite rifle and so does Kimber in their Adirondack. I am shooting a Tika T3 Ultra Lite fluted right now in 308 Win. Anyone here have a chance to own, shoot this cartridge yet?

thats a kinda subjective question.

But heres my 10 cents.

more accurate over mid to long range, smaller bullet and cartridge. That said, if you want to be able to hit something accurate from distance its probably a good call. Downside, its not as common of an ammo as 308 so its pricier and hard to come by.

So far as I know, Creedmore has better ballistics than .308 and 7.62. Dont quote me on that, if not it is hella close though.

Do you want something that for its purpose is more affordable to fire, Or is it hunting, etc. where you want one shot to be one kill, and over what range are you planning to use it? How much money do you have?

Those are the questions I would ask myself in your position. If I could afford to I would drop .308 and shoot Creedmore

that's a kinda subjective answer.....

If you can afford match grade ammo for the 308, you can afford 6.5 creed ammo. If you reload, the cost of primers, powder and bullets are about the same...... as is the cost of same-o/same-o factory rifles. I reckon you should now try to find an excuse, other than money/cost......

AO6, the crickets got yer tongue? still waiting to hear how the creed whomps the 300 maggy........

here are my 3 creeds. All Rugers. Precision rifle, American Predator, Hawkeye Predator At the Icebreaker shoot in Montana last week, all 3 were used to hit all targets, including 2-2inch diamonds at 510 yds and the furthest, a wolf sillywet at at 1477 yds. Closest steel was at 378.....

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman22 View Post
    AO6, the crickets got yer tongue? still waiting to hear how the creed whomps the 300 maggy........
    LOL sorry have not been checking in on here for a while.

Simple matter of drop in inches. 6.5 is flatter out to distance past 1K. Energy is where 300 or 338 will shine. I wouldnt suggest taking an elk at distance with a 6.5 and why I think 300 is more suited but for smaller game/critters 6.5 has enough.

BELIEVE me I'm slow to adopt to change and it was a big step outside my comfort zone to go with an "Oddball" round such as the 6.5 over 308 or 300.

Guessing you have access to ballistic apps or are familiar with the sites that have them. Do what I did run your pet loads through the programs and compare for yourself. I manipulated 300 load data 20 ways to Sunday using the 230 Berger and the A191 (190 smk) data I had dope on from last rifle. For my intended use the 300 only held the advantage in energy. To break a mile you also have to consider the drop in relation to your optic and if you can even dial the drop in.

Using same environmental inputs and the 300 with A191 load data at 3025 fps I get a drop at 1700 yds of 83.5 MOA vs the 6.5CM shooting 140 Hornady ELDM at 2870 fps I get 44.38 MOA at same distance.

12.85 mils for 6.5 vs 24.55 for the 300. SB PM2 5-25 has 25 Mil of internal elevation so 12.5 from center on a flat base. I run a 30 moa which means total mechanical elevation is 21 Mils (9+12). 12.82 drop can be done in scope without holding over vs 24.55 which means knob is pegged out and I'm holding 3. Assuming no wind in which case the erector will not have that much vert travel.

that's a kinda subjective answer.....

If you can afford match grade ammo for the 308, you can afford 6.5 creed ammo. If you reload, the cost of primers, powder and bullets are about the same...... as is the cost of same-o/same-o factory rifles. I reckon you should now try to find an excuse, other than money/cost......
    Have not started reloading the 6.5 yet but quality factory match ammo for the 6.5 is often less than the 308 if shopping online. That was another factor that I considered before switching over. Really depends on where you live though for availability. Friends in WA have no problem finding Hornady 140 match at most gun shops while here is Komifonia only thing I see stocked is American eagle for $39.00/box. Needless to say I have been buying from Buds online.

Quote Originally Posted by AO6 View Post
    I manipulated 300 load data 20 ways to Sunday .
    Maybe you should have manipulated the 6.5 data, too. since in real life the creed drops over 20 mil at 1700, with 140 amax at 2750. But that's by actually shooting it.......

OK Hoss you gots me lol.

Just starting with 6.5, took some time off from shooting LR. Retiring, having kids moving etc. it was a fringe round when I last was really into this so I didnt get in on the ground floor like you.

Pretty comfortable with 300 WM and the data I have on it. Crane was pretty liberal with the A191 as they phased it out for the MK248. Made a compelling reason for the shooting team to switch over as they were still tight wads with the M118lr.

We can agree to disagree on the validity of calculators vs logged data. Done it both ways myself and never once thought I was more right than the calculator but rather that I missed a key data element. Garbage in garbage out. In "real life" the calculator is smarter than the human. The human is smart enough to fill in the gaps and make decisions on the fly using intuition and experience.

Plugging 140 amax @2750 using g7 drag model I am getting 51.07" or 14.88 mil at 1700. Seeing same between Patagonia on laptop and Ballistic AE on phone. Obviously my station data here in CA at sea level will vary considerably from your location in CO. But that equally applies to any caliber you input. Strip it all away and the results will be constant for any calibers compared if you use a default or generic station. Unless I fell asleep to my knowledge DARPA has not developed a projectile that remains constant across all atmospheric conditions.

here are my 3 creeds. All Rugers. Precision rifle, American Predator, Hawkeye Predator At the Icebreaker shoot in Montana last week, all 3 were used to hit all targets, including 2-2inch diamonds at 510 yds and the furthest, a wolf sillywet at at 1477 yds. Closest steel was at 378.....

Ballin on a budget, huh?
    Nothings impossible, just expensive.