Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Skillz

Default Re: Winter Skillz

I'd be a bit careful with the cotton canvas--you really don't want to get it wet. In very cold, dry conditions it's fairly easy to keep it dry. In North Carolina you're going to be closer to melting temperatures much of the time.

As for managing the sweat, it's all about adjusting your layers. Start cool (as others have mentioned) and adjust. You'll have to do it a lot if you're going up and down hills. Your uphill mode will probably involve no hat or gloves, jacket zippers open, and any vents you have (jacket or pants) open. If you're lucky you won't actually have to remove insulation layers (which requires taking your pack off).

Even the best rain jackets money can buy aren't very breathable. Use them only if you need one to avoid getting wet (from melting snow or rain) or if you are cold (they are good wind breakers).

I don't have a lot of snow shoe experience so I can't offer detailed advice. I have used them to ascend some snowy slopes and they (at least the ones I used; MSR Ascent series if I recall) are very good at that. I own a pair of the Diamond Trekkers modustollens mentioned and have been pleased with them.

Let us know what you end up doing. I'm curious how well the anorak works if you decide to go that route. Just be careful with the cotton!

Hey Rick, I'll definitely keep everyone posted on my final results. I am thinking of getting an anorak as strictly a winter garment. Although uncommon, we have been experiencing colder then normal temps then usual, and I've seen more snow this season then usual. I think I'm not used to being "comfortably chilled" so I tend to over dress to feel "comfortably unchilled" ( if that makes sense ) which leads to me sweating. Anyway, still looking into it. Lot of cash to spend on something I'd only use a 3-4 months out of the year. I'm looking into other breathable wind type jackets too. Maybe something that I could use more often. I'll keep everyone posted.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I like a poncho. It is multi-use. Wool is good in wet weather, but I don't like heavy rain if I can hole up under a tree.

I'm not a fan of heavy rain either. I to find shelter typically when raining.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk