Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2017 East Coast Rondy aka ECR - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 East Coast Rondy aka ECR

Default Re: 2017 East Coast Rondy aka ECR

Arriving early afternoon on Friday.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yes on SST pins...
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Yes on SST pins...
    Copy Thanks!!!! See you tomorrow DayOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!

Because of the storm patterns we won't be making it. Unfortunly I'll have some Smiling Irash Bastards and Scottish Ale to drink without help from you guys. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Because of the storm patterns we won't be making it. Unfortunly I'll have some Smiling Irash Bastards and Scottish Ale to drink without help from you guys. Damn.
    Sorry the weather interfered & we'll miss you. Rest assured we'll hoist one in your honor! DAAYYYYYOOOHHHHHH! Daylight come & me wanna go tipi
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Smile Re: 2017 East Coast Rondy aka ECR

Looks like I'm the first to post a ECR 2017 trip report. I arrived at 1230 on Wednesday the 8th at the location that has been used for the the past 2 years on State land near Northville, NY, weather was about a degree above freezing, sun/cloud mix and about 1-1.5' of snow base. Met Ken on the road by the trail head and learned that the trail we had been using to get in is now an active (groomed) snowmobile trail! Unloaded our gear and pulled the sleds in on the very nicely groomed trail. Ken pushed the site of the camp back into the field we had been using and well away from the snowmobile trail. Stomped in a tipi platform and I put up my 6 man and Ken's 8 man, snow conditions were not too bad.
    My 6 man Tipi
    Name:  IMG_1737C.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  68.1 KB
    Interior
    Name:  IMG_1738D.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  42.4 KB

Eventually Kifaru forum members Woods walker and his Uncle Rich, Billy Bass, Dave R and his Son and P.A. Scott arrived over the next two days and set-up their respective tipis. We eventually had a 4 man, 2 x 6 man, 2 x 8 man and a 12 man tipi on site.
    Name:  IMG_1735A.jpg
Size:  55.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1736B.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1741G.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

Camp routine included collecting wood, cooking, checking out other tipi's and kit and hanging out and visiting.
    Having fresh water in the winter is always a daily task of melting snow, we did get up to 6" of fresh snow when there so nice clean water was the result. I generally opt for a white gas stove to melt snow due to its speed. Here's my retro Optimus 111:
    Name:  IMG_1742H.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  28.3 KB

Word got to us that a nasty winter storm hit the NE States and prevented forum members Andy from NH, Robbie and possibly more from getting to the ECR, their presence was certainly missed!

Saturday the group ventured out for a short hike to the edge of a swamp and built a fire, Woods walker demonstrated some "primitive" but highly effective fire starting using flint and steel. Roasting of meat then took place!
    Shot of group arriving back at main camp after hike, P.A. Scott's large 12 man tipi is on the left:
    Name:  IMG_1743I.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  52.8 KB

That afternoon we also learned that another winter storm was on its way from the SE with possible freezing rain and heavy snow, its ETA was Sunday morning. I decided to head out and not get caught in the storm so I packed up and left camp at 1800 on Saturday instead of Sunday morning
    Fortunately the drive home was quick and uneventful. As of the time of posting this report I have not heard how the weather turned out Sunday morning.
    Overall a good time and definitely more wintery then last year, below freezing during the days and Thursday night had gone down to around -20 C/ 0ish F and we had on snow on and off through the days we were there.
    Last edited by Canadian Guy; 02-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks for posting the pictures and report! Pretty bummed we couldn't make it. Wouldn't be hard to have more snow than last year.

Another year in the books. We had some nice weather in between a couple of nasty storms. Tuesday was a considerable ice storm, lots of freezing rain. Sunday the snow started around 7:45 AM. In between we managed to have a great time like always. It was good seeing everyone again.

Overall conditions were decent. Luckily the crust from Tuesdays storm wasn't too thick. We managed to stomp through it and pack in the tipi platforms. We got a couple of small snowfalls during the event each about 4" of powder. That made things nice.

As always there wasn't any shortage of food. I'm pretty sure I gained a pound or two.

The groomed trail made things a snap getting in and out. The snowmachine traffic wasn't too bad so at this point I don't feel the need to find a new location.

Many thanks to everyone who attended or at least planned to only to have mother nature intervene. We will catch up with everyone next year hopefully.
    Last edited by Ken; 02-13-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home, in towns and cities.” -Nessmuk

Ken mentioned to me that this was our 13th Rondy in the Northeast! Already looking forward to the next one! And, I hope the crew that got snowed out can all come next year!

Can't stop thinking about the moose tracks we found near camp!
    Don't just do something, sit there and think.

This year there was plenty of snow and some cooler temps. As always headed out into the dark.

Downmat 9DLX. Going to sleep nicely for the rest of the week.

Got the DIY stove running. All the camps are floating on the surface of the snow pack.

Speaking of nice sleeping Billy Bass has the best gear!

I woke up to snow on my stove.

Snowing still in the AM.

Last edited by Woods Walker; 02-18-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    WARNING DO NOT TOUCH HOT STOVE
    -----SEVERE BURNS MAY RESULT------