Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's see your Frankenstein packs!

Default Re: Let's see your Frankenstein packs!

Zane-- That's a good question...I'll up my training weight this weekend and give you a report. As for hip belts, I think Osprey might be an alternative to the HPG Prairie Belt, with the advantage that the Velcro field is already in place--you would need some sort of Molle loop or ladder lock buckle on the belt, though, I think, to have a place to attach the Dana hip belt strap that activates the "Arcflex" carbon stays.

FWIW, there's a link to the original fit instructions in this thread from BPL:
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/47894/

Hey Amigo, Thanks for the fitting info! Looking forward to hearing more from your training report.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Zane-- That's a good question...I'll up my training weight this weekend and give you a report. As for hip belts, I think Osprey might be an alternative to the HPG Prairie Belt, with the advantage that the Velcro field is already in place--you would need some sort of Molle loop or ladder lock buckle on the belt, though, I think, to have a place to attach the Dana hip belt strap that activates the "Arcflex" carbon stays.

FWIW, there's a link to the original fit instructions in this thread from BPL:
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/47894/

Zane-- With a 25 lbs bag of dog food and about a gallon of water I got pretty close to your 60 lbs target this afternoon. After five miles or so over easy, rolling terrain here in the Tennessee Valley, I'm pretty confident the pack would handle a bit more, and while I wouldn't want to do a rhodo crawl with it, but I was especially impressed by the lateral stability given by the "wands."

That said, I'm not sure it would be a great "meat hauler" if that's what you're looking for--it would take a bit of ingenuity to keep the dense part of your load wedged close to your center of gravity (the fact that there aren't any circumferential compression straps really hurts in this regard.) But since I roll with a typical "civilian" camping load-out, I'm happy to have the cubes (and, at 6'5", the shoulder lift!)

YakBakDekPak, Slurpímups and Ouchímups on a Kifaru Duplex frame, and an MEC dry bag between them. Oh and the Kifaru Cargo Chair acts as a sort of frame sheet in the YBDP.

No dry bag, but with the Mapímups on the front, and am Emdom shingle on the front of that.

With a Kifaru Pod on top and the least flattering shorts ever below that.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Quote Originally Posted by Exploriment View Post
    and the least flattering shorts ever below that.
    Exploriment,
    Hahahaha I just saw this!

Has anyone of you ever put a eberlestock a4ss rifle acabbard in between their frame and bag? Kind of how eberlestock bags come? I'm stuck on a job away from home, so I can't play wiTh my own toys.

Pics would be awesome.

Thnaks