Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is the Scout going away???

Default Re: Is the Scout going away???

I could certainly live with PALS and 1000D again but the clamshell lid would make it for me. Another idea i'd love is built in pockets on the belt, equivalent size to small belt pouches but sewn in

Just won a Scout in OG with harness, belt, belt pouch and mini long in black to act as a top pocket.

I think a good idea to further improve this would be to add an option to set a minimum CP before attempting to capture. That way you wouldn't be wasting resources trying to catch a 200 CP Venusaur for instance.

Can the Scout be comfortably used without the shoulder straps?

Sure and it will take more weight than any other lumbar pack I have ever used even without them. I don't run straps except when carrying weight PLUS water. I use mine everyday and always without straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoman View Post
    Can the Scout be comfortably used without the shoulder straps?
    Yes it's actually more comfortable to have a belt and no shoulder straps, than to have shoulder straps and no belt!

Cheers guys, I hoped it might but didn't see any photos of it.

@Scoman:

As I recall the difference between the G1 and G2 Scout was that the G2 had PALS webbing on the lid and several, internal "slot" pockets to help organize a little better. That's pretty much it. Plus, I believe it actually said "G2" on the Kifaru label.

Yes, the Scout can be worn without shoulder straps. The G1 Scout came with the Omni belt and a simple shoulder sling. The idea is that the weight of the pack is carried on the iliac crest by the Omni belt and the sling is there strictly to stabilize the pack from swaying too much. With the G2 model they included the new criss-crossed shoulder straps and made the Omni belt an option. I still like to carry my G1 Scout with just the Omni belt and the simple strap. If you have the shoulder strap set, I like to remove the plastic criss-cross thingy (real technical there) and just the let the shoulder straps find their own place to ride. Seems to make it more comfortable for me.

The biggest "problem" with the Scout was it's ability to be overloaded by the enduser. Too many people overloaded it with external pouches and pods that would throw one's center of gravity off making the shoulder straps more necessary. I can understand this problem though, as the Scout was one of Kifaru's least expensive packs. It's simple economics for many people.

BTW, congrats on winning a Scout. You are the luckiest man in Perthshire for sure!

Take care,
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

Realized this when I tried to buy one a couple months ago, Sad Sad day.
    Woody

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Old thread I realize but.... I'd like to see it in the rotation. I'd like 1000d, pals, a solid shoulder strap option and a zippered pocket on top.

Sick to my stomach I procrastinated so much on one of these.

Wanting to stay relevant in the industry is good but I feel with a solid reputation already in place why not just concentrate on what works?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk