Thread: need help picking MR scapegoat hill people umlindi or kifaru scout

Default need help picking MR scapegoat hill people umlindi or kifaru scout

Ok so here's my problem I've used cheap packs for years and I'm tired of them felling like there ripping my shoulders out of socket every time I use them. I picked up a used eberlestock x2 last year and it can take alittle more weight then the cheaper ones I have but not much so it goes in pile with the rest. I usually do all day hunts from 30 min or so before day light until 5 or 6 that evening and maybe once or twice a month I'll do a 2 day one night hunt and need something that can work for this I don't take a whole lot of stuff most times other then warmer cloths just in case I need them. So which would be best the mystery ranch scapegoat or maybe the sphinx or hill people umlindi or save for the scout pack thanks.

Default Re: need help picking MR scapegoat hill people umlindi or kifaru scout

Ive owned both the scout and the Umlindi. What time of year you hunting? I'm guessing fall archery from the sound of your post.

The MR is the most expensive but also the biggest and would likely give you the most comfort with a heavy load. The scout is great as a day hiker. To push overnight you would have to add to it or have something bigger. The Umlindi is way cheaper but doesn't come with a belt. I've modded my Umlindi quite a bit but will be using it for archery here this year. That is until I get back to the truck with the first load and then fetch the external frame to handle the heavier work.

Buy a 24 inch ultralight frame and a 22 mag bag and be done once and for all . Or buy a nomad bag, can't go wrong with that either.

I don't really think I'd need a frame and pack for my hunting habits I was thinking a good internal frame would work best but as stated I don't have that much experience.

And Hayes it will be fall I do overnights during archery not so much later in season for muzzle loader and rifle I do rifle hunt some but usually if I'm out its with a bow. The season in Tennessee is last Saturday in September to middle of to middle of November archery 2 weeks of muzzle loader then last Saturday of November to first Saturday of January for rifle or there of.

I've had an Umlindi and a Scout. Still have the Scout. Have been carrying the Scout daily for the last week and a half. 3 days of cub scout camp, and 7 days of fishing in a 14' boat, a fair bit of canoeing, hiking, and 2 flights. Mine's a G1, the new ones are better, internal slot pockets and the PALS on the lid.

I do a lot of tree stand hunting. Love the Omni belt with pals too. Haven't overnights with it, but a baby, light bag & a tarp or hammock would fit it.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ