Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New backpacks

Default Re: New backpacks

Yeah, 50 would be the most I'd carry. More often 40 or less. How does it compare to the Xing with a 40 pound load? The Tarryall looks like it might be the 3day tropical pack I've been looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Yeah, 50 would be the most I'd carry. More often 40 or less. How does it compare to the Xing with a 40 pound load? The Tarryall looks like it might be the 3day tropical pack I've been looking for.
    Better than the Xing for sure with 40 lbs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Will the side pockets on the Tarryall fit 64oz Kleen Kanteen bottles?

Can we see pics of the the new lumbar pad's pivot and how it works? Will we still be able to remove the lumbar padding to adjust it for personal comfort?
    Are these two new packs with the lumbar pad pivot Omni Belt compatible?
    I see tab loops on both new packs right about where a Upper Delta Strap would attach to the pack. Is this how they will ship? This would allow the user to attach a split SR buckle to use the upper delta straps (if the Omni belt compatible).
    Last edited by LMT66; 05-15-2016 at 12:57 AM.

It will fit, but it does take away from some of the usable space in the main bag.

I'll have a video up soon, but yes, the foam in the lumbar pad can be removed and the new attachment system will allow for tighter or looser adjustment.

They will ship with those tabs. They were built for extra horizontal compression but also work to use for upper Delta strap attachment points ( we got lucky and the placement worked for both applications).

We tested it as you described, but also with the same attachment system we use for our load lifters.....either will work just fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the images and review of the 14'r.

I also have a thing for Kifaru bags, though I use mine only when I travel. I won't check a bag, so am always on the look-out for better bags that somehow make it easy to open and get things (book, charger) while in an airport without making myself look like a backpacker with too big a pack. I started with a Marauder and moved to a Xing, but while it is great, the extra straps and different size on top and bottom make it a bit challenging to pack (even given that my personal item, usually an E&E, has to fit inside). While I think both the 14'r and the Terryall are a bit larger than regularly approved for carry-on, I find that having nothing in my hands (no small bag or the like) and nothing that is really taller than my shoulders (if they do not see a towering backpack, it must be ok) generally helps me to a smooth flight.

I was all ready to move toward the Terryall, as I like the look of it and thought the 14'r was too tall, but this review is having me rethink it. I do think the 14'r may be a bit small (narrow in the depth) that may require the long pockets for some other items just to fit.

Say, can you say the dimensions of the 14'r with the long pockets, all full, or some other pocket that may not expand so much but would still fit it fully?

Many thanks!!
    Last edited by fulbert; 05-23-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Come to think of it, one other question.

I have only bought and used the tactical line bags; can anybody speak to the strength of the Hunting ones, specifically the 14'r and the Terryall? I know they must be strong otherwise Kifaru would not stand behind them, but I have never touched one or overpacked one and prayed the seems or zipper did not bust, so no personal frame of reference from my Marauder or Xing or E&Es.
    Last edited by fulbert; 05-23-2016 at 07:22 PM.

The 14R would have been even more perfect with the sleeve/waterbottle/Spottingscope/whatever Pockets of the Tarry All or Antero...imo.
    I allways liked some kind of open Sleeves on the Outside to stow away gear I need at hand.

As a follow-up to this, I took the plunge and ordered a Tarryall, and am also hoping it may fit / work for airlines. I know the size may be a bit larger, so will do an intense personal measuring once I get it. I think it may fit if not over packed. Will share my results when I get them.

BTW, I was really close to ordering the 14'r though know it is a bit narrow so would have to run two side pockets. Still considering this, but it depends on how large I think the Tarryall is when I actually receive it. Will keep everybody posted.

Took delivery of a Tarryall today. Hoping someone who tested or has taken earlier deliver can help me out.

I want to swap out the stock belt for an Omni that I have (unpadded, slick - better for travel) - I have a question about the belt attachment.

I have experience with Omni Belts, But the upper attachment point on the Tarryall (and I guess the 14'R, but not the Antero, both with the same single delta strap EDC belt) has me scratching.

I can't tell how to release the single hook and loop upper attachment point for the belt retainer on the Tarryall. Aron remarks in the video that it is a little bit of a pain. I need a hint on how to approach the upper attach point so I don't wreck it. Am I just running my fingers on both sides of the hook and loop until it releases? Am I using a tool? Or...? And once loose, what is it like (how hard is it) reattaching.
    Thanks for any help,
    jim

Jim-

My Tarryall is in transit, so can't wait!

While I cannot help with the belt, I am wondering what about the one that came with it you did not like and want to switch it?

Thanks.

Fulbert