Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Running KU 3700 without a belt?

Thread: Running KU 3700 without a belt?

Default Running KU 3700 without a belt?

Anyone use their KU 3700 without the belt? If so, how did you configure the shoulder straps as they attach to the belt? Thank you

Default Re: Running KU 3700 without a belt?

Hate to be "that guy"; but why would I use my KU 3700 without the waist belt? Completely goes against the basic design of the pack. I guess, if one had too, the belt could simply be wrapped around the front of the pack and buckled to keep it out of the way. Would not remove the belt as the stays mount to the belt itself.

Take care,
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."

I'd +1 what BuckarooMedic said. My ZXR is similar volume, the only reason I can think to do this is if it's empty, then, maybe, I'd wrap the belt out of the way.

With an Omni suspension, and light weight, it makes sense, not a lot of weight on the shoulders. Modding the KU, (you just said "configure", not "modify", but I'm just going that extra step) my opinion, is a bad idea; that material's tough to sew and the unintended consequence is failure (tearing) that (probably) won't be covered by warranty. The difficulty in sewing and the delicate nature of that fabric I think is what led to discontinuing...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

I don't have one to test this, but if the ku packs are like others from kifaru in that time range, you can remove the belt and use the ladder buckles on the pack bag where the lower belt tensioning strap attaches. You can do this with an mmr, for example. It will change the angle of the shoulder strap, so you might have to mess with the adjustment, and I wouldn't want to carry any real loads that way, but for a lightweight thru hike or something... sure.

You need a piece of webbing to go from the shoulder strap to the bag. 3/4" webbing can work in a 1" buckle, and I probably wouldn't bother to change out the lower buckle if it were me.

You might have to do something with the bottom of the stays to keep them from falling out or rubbing on the pack, not sure.

Look at the bottom of the bag in the left hand picture and you'll see the tensioning buckle I'm talking about.

Edit to add: Don't chop anything off the pack! You might find later that you want the belt again.
    Last edited by chopchop; 04-14-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Thank you gang for the feedback. Good points and I think I will run it with the belt! Now just need to figure out best sil nylon patch to use for some repairs inside where the stays run?