Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What happened to politics correct (or not) section? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to politics correct (or not) section?

Default Re: What happened to politics correct (or not) section?

Joe, man, glad to see you pop up. Made me sick not to be able to find you, man. I just posted a bunch of pics in the Rendezvous, inspired by this thread.

Folks, if all you've got is vitriol, I'm not an admin, but, I'm for one, gonna post pics showing why I'm here... To see my friends...

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

I dont usually post about politics, simply because I don't usually care. I've spent my entire adult life serving this country, with half of it either preparing for combat or in combat. I've been through three different presidents during that time and 99% of their decisions make zero effect on my life. I still got paid, I still had friends and family, I still went hunting and spent time outdoors. I guess after you muster the courage to explain why you lost a child's life to a parent after return from a deployment, everything else seems a bit petty.

I too miss the old timers and the wealth of knowledge they contributed to this forum, hell that is the reason I go to rondy's. Patrick has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know. I've also met some great company, guys that are every bit as tough and solid as the men I've known in the military.

I am sorry that there are some here who think I'm small minded, uneducated or just a plain old dumb grunt, but if you need a place to vent about politics, state that so everyone can understand why you made the post instead of thinking you're out to prove a point. In the end everyone wins.

I love the thought process Rob, I love the pictures even more and will work to contribute more myself.

Oh yeah, the bucket of mountain house meals was only half full, the rest was ramen, green chili and tortillas. I had to spent a whole weekend in the mountains!

Indeed, pictures being out on the land are better than politics, correct or not, conspiratorially crazy or not, communisticly insurgent or not, atheist or not:

John S's old Mountainsmith sled, gladly bought up on the forum here, and given a new life hauling my tipi in Canada.

There is nothing like sitting at the edge of a calm lake looking at the perfect, mirror reflection of the shore, the sky and the tipi.

The new main pack - black AMR, very nice!

Took that pack out in the canoe in the summer:

It took a few days to arrive, but we stayed here:

Had some good luck with the rod and reel:

I've been taking my portable HF radio out for entertainment in the tipi:

Tipi makes for a warm and portable radio shack for me, VE3EFQ. Who else here is on the air?

When I am out on the steppe in Kaz'stan I have the 4x4 and my portable QRP HF radio:

Carrying or hauling or 4x4-ing - much better than political bleating.

Keep posting the pics!

MT
    If A then B; ~B; Therefore ???

http://modustollens.org/

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  40.9 KB

Here's some alternate work being put in for backcountry travel.

(Rob! How do I fix this!)

I happen to care a lot about politics, but that is not why I visit this forum. This forum is a break for me from the constant news cycles and events of the day.

I completely agree with those who come here to learn about back country hunting and camping, bushcraft and Kifaru gear, trips and tips, and to share, if only virtually, in the camaraderie of the members of this forum.

To those who want to post about politics on this forum, go take a hike. Literally.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by widowshooter View Post

Here's some alternate work being put in for backcountry travel.

(Rob! How do I fix this!)
    More weight, puss...
    I opened it on my laptop with Paint, then "Home, Rotate, Rotate Right 90, then popped it onto photobucket. I should do front squats more, kinda want to throw powerlifting back into my workouts. I think I'm a natural at the "jerk"... Ha!

Last edited by robcollins; 04-02-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Thanks, I appreciate the help. That's Zach, the newest Rondy associate. He came down from Iowa to Kansas to hang out, shoot guns and look at gear. He leaves in a month to do his first season as a Wildland firefighter in Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman78 View Post
    Of the other forums you listed I think I have seen 1 post in backcountry fishing since I joined and nothing in any of the others. That being said, this started as a post to simply bring the section back so that it is easier to ignore not to silence you. I know that I would prefer it not be there at all, but since it's not up to me being easier to ignore would be nice.

Don't get me wrong I am always up for intelligent debate, which I have often with certain college friends who are either left leaning moderates or a couple bleeding heart liberals I know. I have stayed out of the debates on here because they are a little too emotional, too much name calling and not enough substantiated facts for my taste and that's not why I monitor the forums. There is a place for everything and as you eluded to those places for intelligent debate are being eroded by our soft society who don't want to be exposed to opposing views. I was at CU when Ward Churchill made his (in)famous comments on 9-11 and while they were obviously (and probably intentionally) inflammatory rather than debate with the guy he was fired (for other reasons, but I'm sure they were looking).

However I would suggest that you leave any demeaning insults and name calling out of your arguments. In my experience once you call someone "small minded", "ignorant" or "stupid" that you will never change their mind no matter how good your argument is. I agree with you that often we are our own worst enemy with the gun debate, but often it is because we get defensive and start insulting rather than trying to educate. Now, there are people that you will never change their mind and they are beyond saving. For instance, a liberal co-worker told me the other day that gun ownership is a privilege whereas free speech is a right. Well, I did my best to educate him on the fact that they are both constitutionally guaranteed rights and I think I got the point across but I will never change his mind on the fact that gun ownership is a good thing, but I think some progress was made in the right direction instead of just calling him ignorant and small minded and move on with my day. The real problem is the bull horn nature of politics in the internet era. It used to be that people discussed and debated things in social settings like the barber shop and over coffee where now it's just shouted to the masses with conviction and never challenged. Being a member of the internet generation I think it's a shame that everyone gets a soap box and no one is challenged because it leads to complacency in our own beliefs. The other problem is the feeling that we must align ourselves with an ideology or group and it is okay to not have a strong opinion on something.
    Wow, Lineman. Can't remember last time, if ever, I was so politely corrected, informed, and enlightened. Clearly see where you're coming from. Of all the men who posted here, on this thread, you get my respect. Thank you.

To everyone else but lineman;

You've complained about and criticized my responses in this thread and, in general, collectively concluded I showed a lack of civility, etc. The ones showing a lack of civility are you, not me.

This thread was started by a few posters who took what I considered to be thinly veiled swipes at me. Those first few posts were the equivalent of complaining about someone around the corner, where they can hear you, instead of simply bringing your concern to the person face to face. When a man starts bitching about me where I can hear him, instead of talking to me face to face - as equals - then I'm put on the defensive. If someone you worked with talked about you to someone else, but didn't bring their issue to you, then you'd be on the defensive also. Human nature. We're all stuck with it and at times it hinders our conduct and vision.

If the OP's had PM'd me with their concerns I'd have responded far differently. Isn't that the civil thing to do? That's what a man of honor does. He goes to the other man with his problem. He doesn't talk about the other guy. He talks TO the other guy.

Talking ABOUT the other guy makes the other guy defensive. In this case I'm that "other guy". The OP's put me on the defensive and my response shows that. Then what happened? Everyone complains about the tone of my posts; says I'm not "civil". Really? Every one of you who condemned and accused me is guilty of what you condemn and accuse me of! You were quick to judge with and jump in with the crowd. Mob mentality. How civil of you.

The irony is that with more than, what 100-150 views of my posts, only you few complained. The others who read those posts know you're speaking for them? What if they like some of those political posts? That make any difference? Or only what you few want matters? Nice. Handful of guys trying to shut one guy down because they can't just not read his posts. Everyone's equal except you few are more equal.

I see ole' Modust jumped on the bandwagon. Here's a guy who responded to at least one of my recent political posts now calling for the guillotine. Another mob man. Proves his manliness and justifies his board membership by posting pics of himself on the board. Genuine member of the newly formed "He Man Political Post Haters Club".

One joker goes so far as to dare me to post a pic of myself in the woods. How juvenile. "My picture is better than your picture, nah-nah!" Listen up buddy. You've no idea the woods I've been in and even if I posted a pic you'd never know if it was or wasn't me. I proved myself to the only one that matters. Everything else don't mean nuthin. You get my drift?

Conclusion. A simple PM treating me with a little respect, explaining your concern, instead of talking about me around the corner where you'd know I'd read it, would've sufficed to prevent and avoid all this nonsense. Respect. It's a two way street.
    Last edited by 84FLH; 04-03-2016 at 12:19 AM.

84FLH,
    I called you by name in my post. For the very reasons you mentioned I made sure to address you. If I have something to say I'll always make sure I'm as direct as humanly possible.

At least a few of your view counts have been from me, as I open your threads to see just how crazy the sh*t you post is.

The issue, at least as far as I am concerned, is that your posts tend to belittle those that would think another way than you. Again, this is only my thinking, but its crap. You won't find many Obama fans here (myself excluded actually) so why do the very thing you hate and sit on your a** running your mouth? We all get it man.

The Kifaru boards are for the pursuit of wild things and places. Leave it that way.