Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What happened to politics correct (or not) section? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to politics correct (or not) section?

Default Re: What happened to politics correct (or not) section?

Quote Originally Posted by mfolch View Post
    The general discussion section seems to have become the platform for political opining. To someone who doesn't want to get involved in political debate and just wants to find a useful information and discussion of kifaru products, it's a real distraction.
    +1

While I did frequent the politics section, I find it highly distracting wading through the rambling political posts that are now in the General discussion section as other members have noted.

Ryan

Ive been a member of this forum for years. Ive seen a lot of internet fights and discourse but it is usually handled well by like minded guys who love the back country.

I'm a democrat, a hunter, a veteran and a gun owner. I stay out of things because my views are usually not shared by guys I associate with. 84FLH, your posts have made me want to leave this forum all together and honestly I have to assume they are the reason the politics thread went away. Don't get butthurt, either get over it and discuss worthwhile back country hunting topics, or find another home.

I agree with the last two posts. I quit looking at the politics forum and now this one, because I have to weed all this cheap nonsense. Cheap, meaning someone with an agenda coming along and posting a bunch of new links, thinking he/she is saving the world, instead of just starting an intelligent conversation. As though I can't find out the latest news in 15 seconds by looking for it on the internet. So I'm supposed to be shocked that there is injustice in the world? Wow, thanks so much for enlightening me.
    That's what is small-minded to me.

The general tenor of civility that the members of this forum exhibit never ceases to amaze me. I had anticipated a good deal more vitriol.

While I respect the rights (natural or civil--and there's a difference: the right to freedom of thought is among the first, to bear arms is one of the second) to express oneself as one wishes, it just seems to me that a lot of the political content is distracting. If you have something to say, fine by me. I think there should be a place for it. But I don't think this is it. The general discussion forum was a place for 'everything else' when there was another forum specifically dedicated to politics. So, my suggestion was that we should have a place for political discussion, about which we will never agree, and another place for the kinds of topics, subjects, and hobbies we can all hope to agree on (more or less).

To jayhayes6405's point, I stopped frequenting Hill People Gear's forum and decided not to purchase their products when I read stridently politically partisan sentiments expressed by the owners of the company. Frankly, I find it rather telling that nearly every single recent political compliant on this general discussion board targets religious and ethnic minorities. That's not the kind of thing I imagine the people at Kifaru want their company associated with.

Quote Originally Posted by jhayes6405 View Post
    Ive been a member of this forum for years. Ive seen a lot of internet fights and discourse but it is usually handled well by like minded guys who love the back country.

I'm a democrat, a hunter, a veteran and a gun owner. I stay out of things because my views are usually not shared by guys I associate with. 84FLH, your posts have made me want to leave this forum all together and honestly I have to assume they are the reason the politics thread went away. Don't get butthurt, either get over it and discuss worthwhile back country hunting topics, or find another home.
    Don't go, Joe.

84FLH, how do you feel about term limits? Or, would you rather remain divided and bitching about everyone else?

I'm as middle of the road as can be. I'm pro gun, I love my country. I don't want a fricking hand out, my success or failure, I own that. It seems like far left, far right both are exactly the same, outraged by propaganda, distracted by the real problem, the pervasive legislature dreaming up more ways to perpetuate their entitlements while we all pay for it.

I'm all for bitching about the government, but, I think a neato idea is, if you wanna bitch, post a pic of yourself in the woods. Extra points, post one with somebody else on the forum.
    [Edit: Actually, probably, extra points if you're in the middle of nowhere, I can think of several that post here, that aren't surrounded by the big group like I am, or the guys out in Maine, if you're solo manos, more respect to YOU!!]

You don't backpack, your views mean squat...

Mic drop...
    Last edited by robcollins; 04-01-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Planning on eating some Mountain House Rob? Don't think I've ever seen someone bring an entire bucket into the woods.

[QUOTE=lineman78;362517]Planning on eating some Mountain House Rob? Don't think I've ever seen someone bring an entire bucket into the woods.

That was Widowshooter's... Giggling.... But, his tent, NICE... And, I think that was other stuff, for 2 people... (I'm feeling soft underbelly, and contemplating some of the crap I've brought in...)

We don't "survive", we surTHRIVE!!!

Nice pic, lineman78!!
    Last edited by robcollins; 04-01-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Love this forum, but the political posts are a major reason I have been by less and less. No judgement on if the posts are right or wrong, but I am hear to read about gear, see outdoor pictures, read hunting reports and day dream about getting into the backcountry. We need more trips reports and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by topher89 View Post
    Love this forum, but the political posts are a major reason I have been by less and less. No judgement on if the posts are right or wrong, but I am hear to read about gear, see outdoor pictures, read hunting reports and day dream about getting into the backcountry. We need more trips reports and pictures.
    A. Men. And well said mfolch & razorsharp.

Joe Hayes bailed. No longer here. I'm friends with him on Facebook, gone there too. Solid guy. I miss him already. Seeing pics of his baby.. Good guy...

As far as I'm concerned, I hate the political crap. Every time somebody starts that ****, I'm going to post a pic like I did above, and challenge them to do the same. Razorsharp's been on this forum since 2003. (wow!) mfolch, I respect what you said. Rudeness to our friends deserves to called out. If they can't show they do what we do, they should shut up...

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    You don't backpack, your views mean squat...

I know that's right.

Im here Rob. Haha yeah we put funny pics of my kids up all the time. Leaving the FB thing was for largely what we are talking here about though. I need more positivity in my life and social media is either attention starved people, political dissidents, or funny pics. I like funny pics, but the rest are just ugly to me. This forum is a great resource especially when I want to buy or sell something. Heck, I scored my dream shelter here 2 days ago. Although, It's more than that, and has been for a few years. If I was looking at a gun deal, an area to back pack, or for more info on gutless processing, I knew there were dudes here that had been there done that.

I have noticed a lot of the old timers don't seem to pop up anymore. There were guys on here that would just be going back and forth and spilling info left and right that a young novice hunter such as myself was ready to scoop up. Guys like Snakey, Smokepole, Sawtooth, Bushcraft, Scouting Wyo, Huntsman, even Ed C., I never see those guys post anymore.

ETA:
    Last edited by jhayes6405; 04-01-2016 at 11:34 PM.