Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Pack Selection Help
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pack Selection Help

Default Pack Selection Help

If Kifaru has no solution just say it, don't sugar coat it

So here is where I am at.

I am retiring from the Army next year (I have about 349 days) but who's counting, did 13 years active Navy and then Army National Guard 11B since 2007. Unless I get called up in 349 days my rucking and long days of field living are gone.. I have owned the ZULU, ZXR, Maurader, XING etc..etc..

Looking for a pack that would be in black that can make a good transition to civilian life that doesn't scream tactical. Debating XING again because it was a NICE pack, other packs have an external frame I am not up for. A black ZXR still looks tactical but how I loved that pack...

I have a couple E&E in black with Xray straps and could always use them for day to day stuff but something in the 2500 - 3500 if I ever need to "get out"

Want something that could handle 30-60 pounds, I don't haul any meat out for hunting, I drag mine out with a sled

Any ideas. Currently have the new version of Camelbak BFM but, though a good pack doesn't have much rigidity in construction/frame.

I loved the toughness of Kifaru and it can't be beat, I switched to MR for a time but the 500D on the Mountain Ruck didn't last well after 2 weeks of getting tossed around in the field.

Thanks
    Peace

Rick

Default Re: Pack Selection Help

Hill People Gear is great for the transition. Designs are functional/simple and slick. Most items are interchangeable between the two companies. At present I have been using their Tara and PALS Pocket in conjunction with Kifaru Omni-Yoke, Marauder and Bikini Frame.. That is the great thing about them. Their small packs are compression panels. I would probably own an Aston House if I didn't already own other packs and frames. Their Ute and Umlindi are their larger packs devoid of webbing. The weight and price of everything is fairly reasonable.

My current kit is obsolete but great. An Omni-Yoke with and HPG C20M bag (basically, a slick Ranger Green sack with a zipper top opening). They work so well together that it is almost as if they were designed with each other in mind...

Honestly, I support Kifaru, but they have a specific product line. Same with HPG. IMHO, when combined, they fill the gaps that both companies have...
    Last edited by floranama; 11-30-2015 at 04:05 PM.

I think a black Xing would fit the bill. I agree its an excellent pack.

BUT I just talked to Kifaru today and was given the understanding that the Xing is going away. So, if I was you I'd grab a black one before its gone. (Multicam is already gone).

the Aston House does look nice if it came in black?
    Peace

Rick

I wonder what they are replacing it with..

Quote Originally Posted by XMP View Post
    I think a black Xing would fit the bill. I agree its an excellent pack.

BUT I just talked to Kifaru today and was given the understanding that the Xing is going away. So, if I was you I'd grab a black one before its gone. (Multicam is already gone).
    Peace

Rick

Mystery ranch 3 day assault.

Ummm...nope, have had them as well as dragon slayer and others. Hate the tri-zip design... worst design I have ever had..

Quote Originally Posted by tipsntails View Post
    Mystery ranch 3 day assault.
    Peace

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by testedone View Post
    Ummm...nope, have had them as well as dragon slayer and others. Hate the tri-zip design... worst design I have ever had..
    That's crazy talk there. I obviously like kifaru, but I don't think any of their non hunting packs besides the antero look civilian.

Maybe a TAD gear EDC?

I have owned TAD also no likey. Been thinking of a Khard 30 but the need to see one up close.
    Peace

Rick

Maybe a black X-Ray or Xing and strip the webbing off of it? A stripped X-ray probably wouldn't draw a second look from anyone.

Picture it in black.

Last edited by LMT66; 11-30-2015 at 10:53 PM.