Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Belt Axe

Default Lee Valley Belt Axe

Default Re: Lee Valley Belt Axe

Yes, I had one marketed as a Firestone axe. It was ok but somewhat awkward to use. I much prefer the Gransfor-Bruk wildlife and personal hatchet. You will be amazed at what you can do with such a small hatchet.

I have one but I don't particularly like it either. As Badfoot said it is rather awkward to use. My GB's (mini and SFA) are the ones I take with me. If you are interested in trying one out let me know.

I have always preferred unfancy blades, whether knife or axe. This one is pretty (and expensive)but I'd probably have a problem getting used to the balance and the odd cutting angle, just from looking at it.

Thanks for the input guys. I was turned off by the price of it as well. The Gransfor-Bruks look like the way to go (cheaper price too)
    GCS, thanks for the offer where abouts are you from?

Check with Italian Sports or Three Vets in Vancouver for Swedish Weddlinger axes and hatchets, about the same as Granfors but half the price here in Canada. I checked out that Firestone axe when House of Knives imported some a couple of years ago; it is, IMHO, a design intended to capture the interest and dollars of newbies and wannabes who have never cut any wood.

Most of these so called "Viking" designs are actually fanciful renditions of the eminently practical Scandanavian axes, which during the era of the Vikings were idnetical to the GF-Wed. tools we can buy today; I base this on photos of actual Viking artifacts from archaeological research.

Thanks kutenay i'll check out Italian and Three Vets next week. I think Italian has an open house coming up in the next couple of weeks (15th?)
    I've been using a Normark skinning hatchet for a number of years. Problem is the steel seems very brittle and I've chipped the head a number of times. So I'm going to retire it for something different.

Hey Kutenay,

I think you mean Wetterling. S.A. Wetterling axes can be found at http://www.888knivesrus.com and http://www.garrettwade.com. The 888knivesrus is a pretty good operation but doesn't carry all the axes that Wetterling produces. Their prices are very good though.
    Have fun,
    RD

Yup, mine are the 20" hunting axe and the Svenske Forest Axe, I made a stab at the brand name as they are down in my gun room. They are not as nicely finished as Granfors-Bruks, but, so far they seem pretty good. They are too light for serious wood cutting, given the size of the trees here in B.C., but, for recreational use they are good, IMHO.

3/4, I agree with badfoot et al. the Firestone handle is too short, the blade is too brittle, and the poll has a hollow where the set screw goes in, making it tough to use as a stake hammer.

I use a Gransfors now. Now, if Gransfors could fasten the head with a set screw somehow ...

fos