Thread: Choosing the right Duplex frame size

Question Choosing the right Duplex frame size

Good evening,

I have a couple of Kifaru packs already and very happy with them. All of them are Omni bags (Marauder, Zulu, 2 Scouts (G1 + G2) and an Express).

Now I want to get a Mountain Rambler (cause I love the layout, want the expandability and ability to carry heavier loads than the Zulu allows me to (comfortably)) and this means that I have to get a frame as well. Now I can't decide on the frame size, so I'm here to seek u guys help on that.

I know some have asked this question already in the forum (example: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthre...ht=stay+length) and there have been some customer questions on the kifaru site regarding this as well. Most recommendations are to get the longer (26") stays but I am any missing real references to make an informed decision.

My height is 6'0" with a 20 inch torso (rounded up), so based on what I've read this is pretty much in the middle, meaning that both the 24 and the 26 inch frames are an option? The G2 Zulu does not provide me with any shoulder lift with its 21" (I blv?) stays.

The decision to buy a new bag is mainly centered on wanting the lift for loads in the 60 to 80 lbs range (and the flexibility and general awesomeness of the rambler). I would prefer shorter stays so I don't have a stay in my vision when turning around and because of the "danger" of catching branches with them, cause that's what I expect when looking at these pictures:
    Name:  rambler1.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  41.7 KB
    Name:  rambler2.jpg
Views: 3956
Size:  109.5 KB

Please tell me why you opted for a specific duplex frame size, how it worked out and whether u would make the same decision again.

Default Re: Choosing the right Duplex frame size

I'd email Aron he will probably give you his number to call him then he can give you the professional answer and walk you through the fitting process. Good luck.

West Coast USA, staying close to home... for now.

Don't buy more than you need.

If you anticipate moving through vegetation you answered your own question. Rambler gives you the luxury of building "out" not "up" (while still keeping the weight close to the frame). I have my eye on one of those also.

I'm 6'2" and I get plenty of lift from my Xing (22") and my 24" Duplex Frame.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    No like, no buy. Because 'merica. And thanks for reducing our wait time.

At 6'2 I didn't have enough lift from a 24" duplex frame so I sold it. Do your homework and call Kifaru so you get the right frame. Everyone is built different.

Quote Originally Posted by jhedine View Post
    At 6'2 I didn't have enough lift from a 24" duplex frame so I sold it. Do your homework and call Kifaru so you get the right frame. Everyone is built different.
    I agree 100% with calling Kifaru. When I ordered my bikini frame I asked for a 26". Several months later, when getting fitted for a duplex, I realized Kifaru had sent me a 24" instead, based on my measurements. I thought I had the 26 all along. A 26" was WAY too tall for me. At 6', I'm able to get plenty of lift off a 24" and would have been very disappointed if they actually sent me what I asked for, instead of what I needed.

I've had a zulu g2 and it seemed to be not quite lift neutral with very little weight in it. I am 6'0" and measured to be about a 22" torso according to Kifaru instructions for measurement. I just sold a 26" frame and it had way plenty lift. IMHO that second photo shows a guy sporting a frame that could be 2" shorter. The 26 felt like that on me. A lot will depend on how loose you tighten the pack when you are sporting 60 to 80 pounds in it (and experience sag). IMHO the duplex frames either measure differently than Omni packs or they just flat out hold when you put them much better (or both).

I am 6'2 (33 in. inseam- torso measures around 19.5") and run an AG1 on a 24" frame. I get PLENTY of shoulder lift with loads up to 95 lbs.