Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T/C Contender 28 Gauge

Default Re: T/C Contender 28 Gauge

The barrel 2nd wind? Or, the whole enchillada? Without looking the barrel must be about $285.00.

My T/C with the rynite stock and 21 inch 22LR barrel with scope is less than 5lbs. A big open shotgun barrel should weigh less. It is nice gun to carry and rides in the gun bearer like a dream.
    Hunt Fair Chase, and Pass it On!

I've long been interested in the Contender as a utility gun, the 28ga. barrel sounds like just the ticket, enough larger than the .410 to be useful.

Savage used to make a .22/20 combo they called the Camper with 20" barrels, don't recall exactly how much it weighed, but with 4" off the barrels it was a sight less, probably a pound or so. I liked the shorter barrel and the straight grip stock, but, like a fool, I sold it.

I did cut down a standard model to 18.5". Shot very nicely, even though it was essentailly cylinder bore. I patterned it after I got through and with modern loads it shot as an improved cylinder, with no blown shots. The theory here is that the modern load with a shot cup actually patterns about one choke tighter than the nominal choke. At least on that gun, it proved out.

The shorter barrels not only lightened the weight a bit, but was very handy.

Another combo is the Springfield Armory M-6. Designed after the USAF survival gun - all steel, it has a skeleton stock (pick up the top to find holes for 4 rds .410 and 10 rds .22LR) and is around 3.5 lbs as I recall. You can get the top barrel in .22LR, .22WMR, or .22 Hornet. They might make one in .17, too, but can't say for sure.

The M-6 was another one I had for awhile and sold.

My knockabout rifle I almost always have with me now is a Henry Survival rifle (the old AR-7). 2.5 lbs, floats, and now that I made up a sling for it, very handy. Fits in the side pocket of my canoeing pack, and mostly lives in the truck in its own little bag I made (also holds an Otis cleaning kit, a couple of extra magazines and 1-2 boxes of .22LR). Surprisingly accurate peep sight and a great little small game/survival gun.ce bewtween the Henry and the old Charter Arms version is the Henry includes a spare magazine, with space for same in the buttstock. The Henry may be just a little bit better made, too.

NC northwest part in Blue Ridge mountains

I have a contender, so barrel fore end and but stock. Now I have begun to wounder if a 24" shotgun barrel with the pistol grip would be long enough to be legal... Anyone know?

I am pretty sure the min length is 18" for shotguns and 16" for rifle barrels. Either way, at 24", you are fine.
    This message board is here to advance the art of back-country hunting, fishing, and soldiering in a spirit of good fellowship. Some of the best hunters and finest folks in the world post here. If you're new, welcome, learn, and contribute.

Ralph-

The Survival rifle was another I always loved, but the old AR-7's were always notorious for being inaccurate and borderline unsafe (especially for a kid). Are the new ones better?

The minimums you mention kevin are for barrel length. There is also a minimum over all length too. I would have to look it up but it seems like it is 26 inches for a shotgun and 24 for a rifle.

It seems like it would be fun to register a Contender as an Any Other Weapon (AOW)with BATF and then you could use the shoulder stock with short barrels. DONT do it just for a lark though. It is the same crime as having an unregistered machine gun.
    Hunt Fair Chase, and Pass it On!

and there may be higher minimums for hunting use that vary by state. I remember a 21" barrel for shotgun in NE, but can't remember why.

I am also not positive, but I think the minimum overall length for a shotgun and probably a rifle is 27". 18" barrel for shotgun, 16" barrel for rifle. I always cut barrels 1/4" longer than the minimums to be on the safe side.

Note: A smoothbore pistol is considered to be a shotgun a rifled barrel shooting shot loads is not. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but so it is.

Also, although a rifle stock on a pistol is registerable under the 1934 firearms act (be careful about mixing barrels, grips and stocks on Contenders) that only applies to permanent mounting. As far as I know, a rifle stock mounted with a flat pistolgrip and a shelf to support the lower end of the pistol grip is legal. That is, set the pistol on the shelf and grip the flat to the pistol with the strong hand provides rifle-like support but is not permanent, as soon as the hand is opened, the two parts become separate items. If you are interested in this, best check with ATF, but I'm pretty sure it's OK.

Rambler, yeah, the Henry AR-7 seems to be a better construction than the old Charter Arms version. Make sure the stock screw and especially the barrel ring are good finger-tight and it is quite accurate. I am getting around to replacing the front sight with a fiber-optic model (for some reason the dovetails don't exactly match, so a little file work is in order).

I think the problem was that the rear sight is on the reciever and the front sight on the barrel. Get the barrel in a little cockeyed and you have a front sight that changes position. I don't try to set speed records in mounting the barrel and am careful about the mounting, so have had no problem.