Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: EDC bags. The good, bad and must have???

Default Re: EDC bags. The good, bad and must have???

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed Bob View Post
    I think all of you urban types look funny carrying backpacks like my kids did to school. Do you have anything for the adults?
    ............?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by robcollins View Post
    ............?
    I don't understand it either lol

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are wearing.

My dream Hybrid Zippy and Hybrid X-Ray, Revised/simplified for production ..........

Hybrid Zippy
    1000d or 500d and full PALS on the front like the Zippy. Keep the side access zip pockets and bottle pockets. If easy enough, make bottle pockets 1-2" taller.

1 inner slot pocket behind the front PALS panel.

Slightly thicker shoulder straps and the metal bar that attaches the padded shoulder straps to the packs straps, moved further up onto the padded shoulder strap so it doesn't dig into the shoulders/back under heavy load. (both could also apply to existing Kifaru packs like the X-Ray, Xing, Zippy and Urban Zippy)

G1 X-Ray-like back with internal stay pockets (use with stays or not- user could make a set of flexible but rigid stays that move with your back for EDC but gives bag structure). G1 Lumbar pad but add velcro across the top so some padding can be slipped in if desired for use with a belt.

Inner lid mesh pocket - move zipper from the center to the front edge so when the lid is open, the zipper is on top of the pocket. This could be done to other packs with this type center zip mesh pocket.

AND/OR

Hybrid X-Ray
    Resurrect the G1 X-Ray, (1000D) as it already has most of what works for EDC (no bulky torso pads or lumbar pad) but can be run with omni belt for hiking.
    Add bottle pockets on the sides and use the current full-size external lid pocket and move the under lid mesh pocket zipper to the front edge so zipper is on top with lid open.
    The G1 X-Ray lumbar pads had no padding so it could be made the same as it was but with a velcro strip across the top so a pad could be slipped in if desired for belt use.

Both of these packs are already used as EDC by many and you already have the base patterns and sewers familiar with making them. These little changes would be simple and in my opinion, both would sell like hotcakes.
    Last edited by LMT66; 01-15-2015 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed Bob View Post
    I think all of you urban types look funny carrying backpacks like my kids did to school. Do you have anything for the adults?
    I think i know what you mean, I've had a few comments at work about why I'm using a daysack at work. I use it because if I'm stuck anywhere or am carrying stuff to and from my truck I can throw the bag on my back and my hands are free. I had a few issues with my shoulder using a messenger type bag. When I'm away at work I always try to get a walk done in the mornings before I go to work. I work around the coast of the Scottish Highlands so usually have some pretty areas to go for a walk. Using my UZ I can throw a waterproof and some EDC kit and water and I'm good for a brief walk. That's my reason for using a daysack.