Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC bags. The good, bad and must have???

Default Re: EDC bags. The good, bad and must have???

everyone has a deal breaker...

i would never buy a bag bigger than 30 liters...

i would never buy a bag with water bottle pockets on the outside...

i would never again buy a bag without compression straps at the top and bottom...

i would never again buy a bag without some form of waist belt/strap option...

i would never again buy a bag without removable stays/frame sheet...

i would never again buy a bag without a laptop/hydration sleeve...

i would never again buy a bag with a single shoulder strap...

Joe, first off, thanks for asking for our input!
    I have a G2 Xray, Xing, E&E. I love all these packs but for edc which for me is normally back and forth to work carrying lunch and other essentials, I use the xray hands down the most.
    I think the UZ was a huge step in the right direction for EDC and would love to have those water bottle pockets on my xray but new bottle pockets sort of granted that wish! I have an organizer but honestly I dont use it on my xray, weird I know, so option to attach one would be preferred to permanently attached organizer. I actually run belt pouches more often than an organizer. Small detail but I wish the sternum strap was removable.
    I'd vote for keep the UZ like it is and make a urban Xray/Xing with less pals and bottle pockets for those who want a EDC carry bag with optional full frame/belt/suspension.

For those that don't like the bulky lumbar pad on the G2 Xray, I have removed it completely when using without stays or you could replace it with a thinner piece of foam that isn't as bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by shtfco View Post
    Hey Joe great topic glad you brought this up. Would love to see Laptop suspension on some of the Kifaru stuff like the Ogio Renegade has. It suspends the laptop from hitting the floor by making the pocket short enough that it bottoms out on the pocket but not in the bottom of the pack also fleece lined. Also lots of organizational ability but with a big main pocket. Pack should be carryon size but also small enough to where it doesnt feel bulky. Also non tactical for us Leadership guys who have to be aware of perception =-). Built in Admin Panel that makes sense and has lots of options. A built in power adapter pocket - I dont think this has ever been done and Kifaru could be the first. Its a pocket that has an in and out to where you dont have to pull out your power cable for your laptop. You plug into the wall and laptop and the power supply stays inside the pack. (This would be a cool option) Sunglass case built in crush proof pocket. The main compartment should be able to hold overnight gear. My 2 cents on what I look for.
    what about a built in power cell like on the northface charged surge II...that way you can take your laptop and your cell phone and gps out to the middle of nowhere and still power them for a couple of days...

can we get a definition of what an edc bag is...everyone please chime in...i am sort of the one bag one world type and i think your edc bag is the one you have with you everywhere you go...it is within reach in a matter of seconds..not tens of seconds...not a couple of minutes...no going out of the building and across the street to get your edc bag...

it should be able to go from home to work to play without any effort...it hauls your lunch/portfolio/laptop/rain jacket to work...it hauls your kids stuff to the game or around disneyworld...it scrambles over boulders in savage gulf tn. or along the ap. trail on a day hike...

i also understand that because of geography sometimes you have to carry liquid refreshment with you but if you are hiking around d.c. or new york or denver or disneyworld or savage gulf for that matter how far away are you from something to drink...i think that water bottle pockets on the outside make a bag look fat but if they have zippers on them akin to the mystery ranch tri-zip they would lay flat when not in use and could be used to store something else since they won't have an open top...

an option for a removable fully padded waist belt or strap would be nice as well...you may not need it just taking your bag from the truck to the office but if you take you bag out for a hike and you are trying to scramble up a hill so you can snap a picture of the black bear headed over the ridge the last thing you want to do is fight the pack the whole way so it would be nice to have more than just a chest strap...there is no way i want to scramble anywhere with a 40 liter/11 gallon + edc bag without a waist belt...

i also cannot imagine just going back to a straight top loader after having the side doors and pockets on the zippy...that is where i keep my sunglasses and reading glasses and 2 cans of bike fix-a-flat...

sorry for the multiple posts...its late and after i get all my thoughts together and put them in one post i have timed out and when i sign in again this computer (my wifes since mine is in the shop right now) takes me to a blank page...

We're working on a lot of these aspects, keep the ideas coming. We have a few in the tubes and I've got pages of sketches going towards the Urban line. Sounds like some want a military bag, others want some of our older offerings with the urban treatment. We're listening and trying to make ideal bags for you guys. Like I said, keep the ideas coming.

Eric
    Eric Bender
    -eric@kifaru.net

I received one of the very first Typhon X-rays and I'm still obsessed with it. It works for everything. The only thing that could get me to buy another EDC bag would be a similarly sized Marauder. With the belt pouches available in all manner of sizes and colors, the interior options for small marauder would be endless. Thanks for the opportunity to chime in with our personal preferences.