Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need input on the Cargo Panel!

Default Re: Need input on the Cargo Panel!

I think keep the PALS matrix as it was. I don't see the benefit of removing every other row of PALS webbing.
    The full PALS matrix lets you customize with whatever size/type of pouches you want.

Keep the 1000d as well.

Sewn in pocket is a good idea to me.

I like the idea of having one side a solid color and the other side in blaze orange. Only list it as an option when
    ordering so that way if someone didn't want the blaze orange they would have that choice.

these are my opinions and thank you for asking for customer input!

Quote Originally Posted by widowshooter View Post
    I think it would be smart to make it reversible with X camo/solid pattern on one side and blaze orange on the other. I had a blaze orange one built for the KU pack I have an it sure is nice.

I think you should have it built with two types, one with PALS and one with out, because not everyone will use it for the same thing, just make it an option when a person is ordering it.
    What if you made the panel from 2 pieces -- 1 side PALS and the other side slick -- with tab/common loops on the edges?

Half the weight, plenty of attachments, but could still be slick if wanted.

Then you could rig it with the kit straps to the common loops, and you could put it pals out or pals in, depending on your use. It would also seem to be easier to customize, b/c you would have the same pattern for either side and could use the same size/shape rectangle regardless of the material -- kryptek, blaze, foliage, whatever.

Great responses so far!

There's a couple things I'll mention now after racing through the comments;

1) There's no way we will ever have orange on one side. We have minimum orders on material and we'd be sitting on a lot of orange for ever.

2) We won't be able to make this a "made to order/custom" product. At some point we may have a sewer that can do custom work, but we don't at this time and a Custom Cargo panel would be a nightmare to cut//sew.

3) The end result we want is for this to be more affordable and simpler to use. These were the top comments we got from the originals. Keeping all the MOLLE webbing on one side no problem, and 1000D is fine too, but there's a limit to other options.

Thanks again for the feedback!

I've got a tactical panel, I use the molle to attach the 'top' strap in the middle of the panel sometimes, sometimes pulling the 3 bar slider through multiple pals rows. I'm curious to see what folks are doing with pockets, I just use the pals for more compression attachments...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

As a hunting company you could incorporate orange into many of your goods, at least in my opinion. I would have a one sided orange panel for load outs as this makes sense if you are carrying a large set of antlers. Having orange inside of pockets sure can be handy to "see" what is inside of your pocket. I think you will end up making two versions again though, one slick and one with PALS webbing as everyone uses this panel for different things.

A orange lock and load panel would allow a PALS equipped panel to be a safety flag. I could walk down to the fabric store and get orange ripstop, hem the sides and add three bar sliders to the corner. Prolly weigh 2 ounces. You could do away with the 3 bar sliders and just use fabric ribbon and tie it in place for less weight. An old VS17 panel could do it. There are also several updated ones on the market that are lighter, and would work just as well. I may pick up ITS tactical's, which is 17x17 inches (over the 244 sq inches required for most locations) and weighs an ounce with the corner ties.

What I would really be interested in is a couple of corner pockets at the top that would allow the legs from the field to chair to be inserted, allowing the cargo panel to be used as a field chair. I would use the stash of cash the wife doesn't know about to buy two the first week (stash is currently earmarked for a Ti stove). Particularly if the attachment system is simplified. The three bar slider/common loop is more secure than you would expect, but can be a pain in the rear to add/remove more than once or twice a trip. I have a Grab-it, and when I get an EMR II a Cargo panel, with one side PALs would definitely be part of the order. Attach the panel if you feel a need for the pals that the EMR II lacks, or use it to compress the main bag under the wings, and still be able to carry meat in the pack and camp between the panel and bag, between the wings.

That is what I would do if I were the Kifaru King!

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pat K View Post
    What I would really be interested in is a couple of corner pockets at the top that would allow the legs from the field to chair to be inserted, allowing the cargo panel to be used as a field chair.
    Somebody else mentioned this idea earlier in the thread. I hadn't thought about it before, but it makes a lot of sense. Two little hypalon pockets like the stay pockets on the duplex belt would make that a simple solution.

I don't have a cargo panel in hand, but it seems you could rig something like this if you fold over the top row or two of pals and lash the edges together with paracord or a strap.

Come to think of it, if you had a couple of long strips of hypalon or leather or even extra webbing, you could fold them in half and shove them through a couple of rows of pals at the top, then put the stays into that. If your tails are long enough, you could weave them back through. Like one of those no stitch folded knife sheaths. I don't know if it would hold, but might be worth a shot.

Here is my two cents, as someone who doesn't have one, but has been looking at the Cargo Panel as my ideal setup for awhile. I feel like the Cargo Panel offers the greatest hauling capacity per weight of any Kifaru solution. Since you can use trash bags, UL dry bags, old duffels or whatever is on hand to carry the load as opposed to a bag that's overbuilt as well. I'm not one of those people that uses every inch of PALS or thinks 500d cordura is tissue paper. But considering how the overall design is inherently lightweight and multipurpose, I would definitely lean towards 1000d and full PALS. The first thing that drew me to Kifaru was the design philosophy that didn't pretend to know what exactly I wanted; you buy your pockets a lacarte and place them where you'd like.

If Kifaru would like to keep hunting style cargo panel attachment (common / tab loops) or combine it with PALS on the other sides
    It will be beneficial if you guys also made a few pockets for it ....

I own both hunting and tactical cargo panel, it is great piece of accessories
    But the common / tab loops in
    - outside hunting cargo panel
    - inside tactical cargo panel
    Can be used only for lock and load and dock an lock (horizontally) attachment

-William-

Aron:

As a pretty avid user of the cargo panel and a hunter rather than a tactical guy I would love one that had a simpler connection system and no PALS stuff. I can't envision ever using pockets on a panel although it seems lots of folks do and getting rid of them would save at least some weight. If you came out with a panel that connected simpler, stored more easily when not deployed (think riding stored under a standard pack without bouncing around) and weighed less, just plan on sending me one.

Paul