Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paypal scam....sellers beware

Default Paypal scam....sellers beware

I received notice of a Paypal scam, and thought it best to notify the board of how it works.

Seller sells the item and receives payment via Paypal from buyer. Seller ships item. Buyer claims never to have received the item but the item is in fact delivered, but buyer delays receiving it until after the Paypal seller protection shipping requirement deadline expires. The sale is thus not consummated by Paypal rules. So, Paypal sides with the buyer, refunding their money. Buyer gets goods for free. Since you're dealing across state lines, lawsuits are expensive.

Sound practice is to require a USPS money order on transactions unless the seller is someone with a good history or someone you know first hand. USPS money orders are hard to forge, and if one tries, the feds get very serious.

I hope that we never have a problem like that here, but the report I received gives me some concern. Since the story I have is not verified, let me just suggest that you should be very careful about taking paypal from someone you do not know and trust.

Default Re: Paypal scam....sellers beware

Thats nice.
    Requiring the money be gifted should solve this problem,prevents the buyer from being able to do anything if they're scammed though.
    I already wanted to use money orders anyway but now i REALLY do

It might be a good idea to sticky this thread too.

Gifting offers no buyer protection if the deal isnt consummated. Unless you have done lots of deals with a person and trust them then Id stay away from Gift. I give the option for it just because Im well known and lots of deals. Keeping your tracking # info and contacting post office can probably counter the scam as the PO can then vouch they have said item and have made attempts to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by darksouls View Post
    Thats nice.
    Requiring the money be gifted should solve this problem,prevents the buyer from being able to do anything if they're scammed though.
    I already wanted to use money orders anyway but now i REALLY do

It might be a good idea to sticky this thread too.
    It would but it looks like Paypal has eliminated the "GIFT" option.
    You have a choice, You can throw in the towel or use it to wipe the sweat off your face.

1st clue. Even when making that request these users still pay using the normal method in hopes of it getting through.
    2nd clue. Name on the paypal transaction is from a suspect country and is not US verified.
    3rd clue. Buyers delays shipping for 7 days or more. This disqualifies you for seller protection.

I can assure you they are active members of this forum posting in our classified adds.

If your guts tells you somethings fishy it prolly is.
    You have a choice, You can throw in the towel or use it to wipe the sweat off your face.

but when you ship priority the delivery is confirmed so does that not solve the issue? or what signature required be better?
    everyone I have dealt with on this forum has been straight up and I have never had a problem. i'm sorry that there are some.
    should there be a "stinker" thread too?

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    1st clue. Even when making that request these users still pay using the normal method in hopes of it getting through.
    2nd clue. Name on the paypal transaction is from a suspect country and is not US verified.
    3rd clue. Buyers delays shipping for 7 days or more. This disqualifies you for seller protection.

I can assure you they are active members of this forum posting in our classified adds.

If your guts tells you somethings fishy it prolly is.
    Curtis and Kevin if this has happened we need to out them. Save us the hassle. Announce the names ban the IPs and we can all live in peace again.

yup, make a "stinker" thread. moderator,if folks are ripping us off. don't we have a right to know?
    it will only drag the whole trading forum down

I'm unaware of anyone being scammed on this MB using this method. We've had a few problems over the years.

I do know the story about the scam elsewhere, but don't have confirmation, so I am not interested in setting out a name or names without suitable proof.

There may be more later, but for today, that's as far as I'll go.

Yes, ship and request receipt confirmation. Signature confirmation would be better yet and don't forget to insure the items. That would clear any discrepancy and resolve most problems other than a misrepresentation claim. In which case as seller at least you get your item back if using paypal.

I don't know if PP still does gift, but if buying avoid at all costs. You have no recourse if things go south.

Trust... but verify.