Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paypal scam....sellers beware

Default Re: Paypal scam....sellers beware

Gift offers the "buyer" no protection. "BUT", I have heard of people having luck pleading ignorance after using gift and getting screwed.
    Still not worth the hassle.

Postal Money Orders are the safest bet, Signature confirmation I do on items above $50.00. And I believe if you use USPS "click n ship" it is included. When insurance is purchased.

And speaking of insurance, lets clear something up.

Insurance is for the guy selling and sending the package, not the guy buying and receiving.

In these cases signature confirmation is only considered by the USPS to verify it was delivered. Paypal wont even consider that confirmation if you don't get the item shipped within seven days. That's a key component of the scam is the buyer doesn't provide shipping info until after that deadline has passed.

This scam happened to me on the Rokslide forums, but I was able to minimize the damage to just the cost of shipping. They have removed and banned this person several times

This person is still an active member here having viewed the site on 11-6-14
    You have a choice, You can throw in the towel or use it to wipe the sweat off your face.

Curtis, care to share his name so the rest of us can avoid a situation like yours? Bill

I know no one wants to stir up trouble but if someone is shady it would be in the best interest of the folks on the forum if we don't have to risk losing money or gear to a fraud.
    Thx
    Wayne

Not sure it's stirring up trouble as it's closer to a community taking care of its members. Those who prove shady should be outed to take care of the good standing members. In my humble opinion of course.

Those without a PayPal seller account may not know this, but PayPal allows you to ship packages using USPS with more services than even the USPS website. You can ship Priority, media mail, parcel services and even first class. Shipping (or in this case paying for the shipping service) through PayPal ties the transaction to the shipment.

I'm somewhat skeptical that PayPal would not consider signature confirmation as proof of delivery. One can send evidence through USPS and maintain chain of custody with services like signature confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by jnathan View Post

I'm somewhat skeptical that PayPal would not consider signature confirmation as proof of delivery. One can send evidence through USPS and maintain chain of custody with services like signature confirmation.
    They will consider it if the package was shipped within 7 days, but if the package gets shipped after 7 day then the seller protection has expired and paypal no longer considers it in making a decision in favor of the buyer who filed claim of "item not received"

If you want to ignore the warning thats fine with me, but if you do so with a member named Kogen you will very likely lose some money or goods.
    Last edited by Curtis C; 11-09-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    You have a choice, You can throw in the towel or use it to wipe the sweat off your face.

I don't plan to ignore your advice, I appreciate it. If I'm reading what you're writing correctly, part of protecting myself includes sending items within 7 days of receiving payment, something I already do. I generally send packages within 2 days of receiving payment.

No thread hijacking intended here, but I thought some additional info might be helpful. Once I list something, I usually pack it for shipping and take pictures during the packing process to protect myself in the event of any claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    They will consider it if the package was shipped within 7 days, but if the package gets shipped after 7 day then the seller protection has expired and paypal no longer considers it in making a decision in favor of the buyer who filed claim of "item not received"

If you want to ignore the warning thats fine with me, but if you do so with a member named Kogen you will very likely lose some money or goods.
    Last edited by jnathan; 11-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    It would but it looks like Paypal has eliminated the "GIFT" option.

I received a $2,500 paypal gift payment yesterday for a sale I made on another forum. I believe the buyer has to have a "verified" checking account linked to his paypal to utilize the gift payment...

I just shipped an item and saw this on PayPal's site just before I shipped. It was under seller protection.

Protection for items not received
    When you ship to the address on this page and provide proof that the item was delivered and signed for, you're protected against claims for items not received. For complete requirements, see terms.

If you put the tracking number in the paypal transaction it will email the buyer the tracking number. I sent this item insured for $1000 and required an adult signature. I'm not sure what else someone can do to protect themselves.

Even though my transaction said it was eligible for seller protection, further down in the terms it states that non-eBay items are not covered.
    Last edited by parshal; 03-06-2015 at 10:57 AM.