Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Kifaru Marauder Military Division pack.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru Marauder Military Division pack.

Default Kifaru Marauder Military Division pack.

I recently picked up a Gen 1 Kifaru Military Division Marauder off of another forum which will be here this week. I got it for a price which was too good to pass up.

I plan on using this pack as an EDC and day pack for hiking. Below is a couple of pictures of the pack:

I have a few questions:

1. Is this pack compatible with the omni belt system ? I thought the gen 1 Marauders all had sewn in belts but this one does not.

2. The pack looks like its missing the top compression strap. Can this be replaced ?

3. There is velcro on the middle of the pack as you can see in the pic above. Will this make it impossible to attach a pair of lock-n-load #11's on the molle panel outside the back of the pack ?

4. Is there any benefit in changing out the shoulder straps on this pack ? If so what should I replace them with ?

What my end goal is with this pack is to have it set up to carry any where from 15-35lbs of gear, water, etc.. I will utilize the internal organization with pouches and such once I figure out what will work for my load out. I would very much like to get an omni belt but if this is not compatible I may reach out to kifaru to see if they can sew in a replacement belt.

Default Re: Kifaru Marauder Military Division pack.

1. I think many people refer to anything before Gen2 as Gen1. However, there is a Pre-Gen1. I have one. It has the sewn in belt and only side compression straps, no top or bottom compression straps. Kifaru should be able to help with the belt.

2. It looks to me like the upper straps are there. Look at the pack top in second picture. There are 4 straps, the 2 outside are the load lifter straps, just inside of those are the compression straps.

3. The velcro looks unusual. Could it be an add-on?

4. I like the straps on mine. I'm not sure what benefit you would get from changing them, although the quick release buckles on mine squeak a little.

West Coast USA, staying close to home... for now.

OhioKyle has a rare Marauder indeed. MOST G1 Marauders (even the early 3-column "shallow" Marauders IIRC) had removable belts. G1 and G2 removable Omni belts are interchangeably compatible.

Not sure what's going on with those compression straps. It appears that the top ones were cut, or the upper side ones were cut. Which colud explain the price you got. Or they were routed onto each other and you just need some buckles.

That loop tape was DEFINITELY added. If that was factory Kifaru would find a way to protect the functionality of the PALS.

Or maybe you got a smokin' price because it has black buckles LOL. I replaced all mine (except for the shoulder strap buckles) with "Repair" buckles and viola, current pack.

Don't mess with those Omni Shoulder straps; puffy comfy-looking straps are snake oil. Watch the Youtube videos or go to Military Moron's Kifaru page and learn to set them as designed.

35 lbs is no problem for a properly set up Marauder.
    Last edited by straps; 09-15-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    No like, no buy. Because 'merica. And thanks for reducing our wait time.

Straps,

I will take your advice and keep the stock shoulder harness. I'll add an omni belt and figure out what's going on with those compression straps. Is there a repair kit out there you would recommend to replace the straps and other missing hardware as needed ?

I'm contemplating removing the Velcro with a seam ripper but am afraid of damaging any thing else.

OG I dont think anything is missing from it. You have small Tab loops setup on the back edge of the pack where those top connection straps are. look at your bottom compression straps on the back side. They have a buckle they attach too. The top ones look like they have been reconfigured. can you take better photos of the top compression strap points. I think your just missing a few SR buckles you need to add or reconfigure. Id love to see better photos of the pack so we can get to bottom of it for you. Straps is right on. The maraurder is a great pack for your intended use.

One you get the pack stuff it with a pillow to look at it the way a pack should be. Using a seam ripper, carefully remove that Velcro patch, it might be useful elsewhere. Once you cut a few stitches a bit of a yank will expose a few more stitches to cut. Carefully work around the patch.

Once the pack is puffed out you will be able to see which strap goes where and decide if there really is a problem with the compressor straps.

I think you will find a flat pocket for the Omni-Belt between the lower shoulder strap connections. The belt has two sets of 1" straps, the lower pair is straight, the upper pair at an angle. Once the belt is in place the straps point to the buckles where they attach. Your shoulder straps are fine. Once you get the pack we can walk you through the adjustment.

I think that all straps are present.

The upper side compression straps are clicked into the females for the top compression straps. (visible in the rear pic)

The top compression straps are clicked into the females for the upper side compression straps (visible in front pic)
    These top compression straps originate inboard of the shoulder strap lifter straps. (visible in the front pic)

The four (4) straps on the back panel click into the females at the leading edge of the side panels only.

You should be good to go.
    Last edited by DVLSBRGD; 09-16-2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    John

"You can't teach stupid" JRH 2009

I got the pack today and heres what I found out:

1. The pack has every thing just as DVLSBRGD stated.

2. The velcro was actually a MOLLE attachment which came right off.

3. I Cant believe how heavy duty this pack is. For what its been through it is in excellent condition.

Now I need some help setting this pack up. I put the pack on after I got it and discovered that the pack rides pretty high on me. The previous owners were all military and used the pack without an omni belt. After discovering this I loosened all the straps which attach the shoulder harness to the pack and attempted to adjust it so it rides around the point where the belt would be in the middle of my iliac crest. Unfortunately I don't think I did this correctly and could use some more direction in setting up the shoulder harness correctly. I found a video online but it pertains to different Kifaru packs with hunting suspension system and didn't go into attaching the shoulder straps to the pack.

It looks like they just loop through the slider but I don't know what the lengths should be nor how it affects how the pack rides. I understand the straps on top of the shoulder straps adjust how tight the pack is against your body so those don't seem to be a problem once I figure out how to adjust ride height properly.

og556,

I see you are a first time poster, so you probably don't know my history with Kifaru, but even though I am no longer with Kifaru, I am always willing to help out if I can. Give me a call and I can get you squared away on proper fit, but make sure you have the pack at your side when you call. You can reach me at 831-566-2337 day or night. This goes for anyone else that might need some help with their Kifaru packs.

Mel

Mel,

I cannot thank you enough for helping me get this pack squared away today. Your help is invaluable and I very much appreciate it.

I put a couple of ammo cans filled with 1k rounds of m193 and loaded it into the pack (heaviest stuff I have in the apartment at this time). I took the puppy out for a walk and when I came back I made some minor adjustments (1/2" higher) on the shoulder straps. Now the pack rides right where I want it.

Should I do any thing besides looping the loose end back over through the opposite end of the three bar slider to secure the shoulder straps ?

Where should the chest strap ride on the pack ?

Thank you,
    Omar
    Last edited by og556; 09-18-2014 at 02:54 PM.