Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have a bone to pick with Kifaru

Default Re: I have a bone to pick with Kifaru

I feel for Kifaru to some degree. Their core business is making gear. They are very good at it. Unfortunately, they seem to struggle at peripheral things like their website, business processes, and customer communication. It's only going to get harder for them, as they are moving out of the niche market, where each customer is treated individually and they can accommodate special requests and custom orders, into the "big market" where they are competing against mass-produced cookie cutter manufacturers who can churn out a pack in 1/10th the time and at a lower price point. Right now, they are kind of hovering in this weird middle market where there are some people that are willing to pay top dollar and wait extended periods for something that is quality, but not necessarily made exclusively for them.

Quote Originally Posted by rhunter424 View Post
    How about a Kifaru mailing list? So notifications are sent out via email about sales/new releases/discontinuations/etc.
    Mailing lists are not a bad idea although as an admininstrator of a couple I know they're not without their pitfalls (recipient spam filters etc). If it were available on the forums/website then no-one could complain that they weren't notified although that would leave the onus on us to check, although that would maybe drive more traffic to the website so every cloud has a silver lining I suppose! Plus it would mean that idiots like me would still have access to the information after they'd accidentally deleted the email...

Quote Originally Posted by techbrute View Post
    I feel for Kifaru to some degree. Their core business is making gear. They are very good at it. Unfortunately, they seem to struggle at peripheral things like their website, business processes, and customer communication. It's only going to get harder for them, as they are moving out of the niche market, where each customer is treated individually and they can accommodate special requests and custom orders, into the "big market" where they are competing against mass-produced cookie cutter manufacturers who can churn out a pack in 1/10th the time and at a lower price point. Right now, they are kind of hovering in this weird middle market where there are some people that are willing to pay top dollar and wait extended periods for something that is quality, but not necessarily made exclusively for them.
    You know, that's pretty much exactly how I see Kifaru at present, although I would have to specifically add that their customer communication via email is second to none - if you've got a query about something, you'll not wait longer than a hour to get a response from Angie or one of her colleagues - I have to say that's a level of service that I've never experienced the like of before and it's definitely one of their outstanding qualities that keeps me coming back to buy their products.

How about a Kifaru mailing list? So notifications are sent out via email about sales/new releases/discontinuations/etc.
    I don't like mailing lists for a couple of reasons.
    1. they need to be maintained (bad if you do ISP hopping and have changing email addresses)
    2. they require positive action to be notified
    3. they do nothing for the people who are not on the mailing list.
    4. mailings are an easy way to insert junk mailings
    5. mailings to not help to present a view of the current product line and its future.

rhunter424 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CoGunsmith View Post
    I don't like mailing lists for a couple of reasons.
    1. they need to be maintained (bad if you do ISP hopping and have changing email addresses)
    Get a non ISP affiliated email address. This is 2013.
    2. they require positive action to be notified
    So does looking at the forums.
    3. they do nothing for the people who are not on the mailing list.
    Same issue with not knowing about the forums
    4. mailings are an easy way to insert junk mailings
    If you're getting junk email from a Kifaru mailing list, you should get off the mailing list.
    5. mailings to not help to present a view of the current product line and its future.
    It would if Kifaru sent out notices (or newsletters if you will) every once and a while stating the changes being made in the upcoming future.

Also, I never said mailing lists would be the end all/be all solution. I'm saying its another tool for the toolbox in getting the word out. The forums have been a great way for Kifaru to get the word out and discuss a LOT of things over the past 10+ years. I don't see that changing. Just offering another option.

Get a non ISP affiliated email address. This is 2013.
    +1000000000000000000000

Seriously.

We appreciate all the comments and we are listening!

Again, we apologize for not making it clearer about the discontinuation of OD green and from here on we will make sure an announce things as early as possible. This was not a purposeful underhanded move and things are being done to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Mel, Patrick and myself are working on a public announcement right now about what will be gong on with Kifaru in 2014. This announcement will address some of the changes that have been going on and why, as well as some changes our customers have been asking for.

Feel free to contact me at anytime for question on what we have left in OD green. aron@kifaru.net 720-937-1418

Thank you rhunter424 for nitpicking every thing I wrote.
    Positive action refers to signing up to receive every thing the mailing list sends out.
    It also in your case means that you don't look at the rest of web site.
    My intention was to point out obvious things I DON'T like about mailiing lists.

A simple page on the K site would work much better than a mailiing list.
    It could also be used by new people who are NOT on any K maliing list.
    And could be viewed by any visitor to the K site not nust the mailing list.
    To be useful and to avoid junk mailings, you have to have several mailing lists.
    Or suffer the arival of mailings that you are not interested in.

How many people actually have multiple email addresses and how do they use them?

My overall opinion is that a companies product offerings must be represented by the website not just by mailings.

Positive action refers to signing up to receive every thing the mailing list sends out.

To be useful and to avoid junk mailings, you have to have several mailing lists.

How many people actually have multiple email addresses and how do they use them?

My overall opinion is that a companies product offerings must be represented by the website not just by mailings.
    Look, you made a list and he responded point by point. It seems like you're just manufacturing objections, and he responded, simple as that.

As a consumer, I don't want to have to repeatedly go to your website to keep up with a company. I have a life. If the company has something they want me to know, they had better feed it to me in the form of a newsletter. You can choose to try to convince your customer that your website is more important than the rest of their life, or you can offer up the info you want them to know.

rhunter424 Guest

Once again, this is 2013. Technologically speaking, you're not limited to a single point of contact for information. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Example: Aron just said Kifaru will be coming out with a public announcement for what's going on with Kifaru in 2014. They could just put it on the message board's like they've always done. But it is ridiculously easy to post that same information to a mailing list, the regular Kifaru website, facebook, twitter, etc etc.

+1 for a mailing list.

I't much easier to check your email once and while then logging onto a forum and click around.

Quote Originally Posted by CoGunsmith
    I have multiple emails.

One general email address that I've had forever. I use it for mailing lists, internet orders, etc.
    A professional email that I use for job interviews when/if I'm looking for a job and credit card/bank info.
    And I have 2 other emails that I use for work at my current job.

So 4 total.