Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Horn Sheep - Huge Ram Skull Found !

Default Big Horn Sheep - Huge Ram Skull Found !

Hello all, I have never hunted Bighorn but I love to chase all kinds of game with my bow, anyway I was way up high last weekend just rambling /scouting around the steep and deep and I came across a really big full and 1/4 curl Bighorn skull. It was still attached to the spine and ribs. I twisted off the skull and hiked it out of there. (heavy) I don't know the proper procedure, I did call the DOW and they said bring it on in and have them take a look at it. Will they plug the horn ? I spoke with a taxidermist who will sell me a cape and shoulder mount it, is that a good idea ? The mass is very heavy and the curl goes all the way around to his eye socket where it is broomed ?? off flat. The broomed section on each side is 3-4 inches long and about 1-1 1/2 inches wide and I can count 12 rings before the broomed section. He is a massive ram. I am wondering what the value of this find may be and what would people who are "in the know" do with it.
    I took a few pictures which I can post here when I scan them in. thanks for the info.

Default Re: Big Horn Sheep - Huge Ram Skull Found !

It is my understanding that the horn must be plugged to legally possess or certainly to sell it.

I am surprised a taxidermist would have a bighorn cape laying around, very fortunate. I am sure he would make a great mount. I would swing by the DOW office as soon as possible to have it made legit.

What a find! I've been "dancing across the mountains" as John Denver would say, in Colorado for all of my 42 years (OK, so not on my own until I was 14), and I've sure never been lucky enough to find what you did. Like KurtB says, take it in to CDOW.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com
    http://fishrigs.com/

Why mount it? You didn't shoot it, the cape didn't come from that individual, I don't really see the purpose of paying someone to make it something it isn't... not to take anything away from the find, that was a good piece of luck and I wish it were me. But I would leave it as a skull, just clean it up a bit.

I tend to agree with shu. Take a look at a european mount, I think they are beautiful but the eye of the beholder....... At any rate congratulations on a terrific find.

shu I think his thought was that as a display piece the mounted ram would be highly valuable... for sale, not because he shot it. In that respect the mount would pay for itself easilly.
    Angelfarts Sausage Co. Get way-back, powered by Angelfarts.

Aah, I see... it never occurred to me that you might sell something like that--or what type of person might buy it.

Blake-
    That's awesome. Definitely post some pics when you get a chance. I've been fortunate to find one dall ram skull with horns here in AK, but it's not as impressive as the one it sounds like you found. I really enjoy that skull left as is, I just glued the horns back on. If you do decide to mount it up and sell it, make sure of the legalities. I know here in AK it is illegal to sell sheep horns. If you unknowlingly sold it illegally, say off ebay to someone in another state you could get into al kinds of Lacey act violations, pretty serious stuff. Congrats on the find.

Here he is - let me know what you guys think

There is a fairly lengthy thread on European mounts here. That would probably be the most aesthetic and appropriate display.

Nothing the matter with keeping it (after getting it legal, of course). As I recall, the all time world record moose was a found skull with something like a 7' spread. I guess some of the old-timers pass on without benefit of hunters.