Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-time favorite smith designs?

Default Re: All-time favorite smith designs?

I have only two of his designs, so I guess that is pretty easy for me.

#1-MOLLEX-I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical when I first got the pack, I didn't think it would be big enough. It made me re-think what I take out to the woods and then I started to add pods to it and that was a game changer. I have a large and a small pod, plus a cargo chair. The Omni waistbelt is what legends are made of. I don't think I will ever not use this pack. The versatility alone with this pack is worth its weight in gold.

#2-MS Day Lumbar Pack-I have had this little dude for almost five years now. I bought it with the strappettes and recently cut the wing style belt pieces off and replaced with a MS pack waistbelt. It connected right up and makes this thing even better. I have this on the trading post, but I am not really sure if I want to get rid of it just yet.

Longhunter

Near Walla Walla Wa. in America & Laphallie South Africa

MountianSmith Tour lumbar pack.

I believe this to be a fitting item for this thread? I sure hope its correct!

I'm a Professional hunter in South Africa. It's often hot during the early months of the season. Backpacks just plain make me sweat for the first couple months. One day wandering around in an American REI I found this medium sized lumbar pack with the biggest heavy duty zipper I have ever seen in my life. I just found the perfect early season means of carrying all the bits I needed.

I'll bet this is 10-12 years old now and still in 100% perfectly functional order. It is used to carry my Rangefinder in one bottle pocket and the powder I use to check wind in the other. Inside bug dope, blister repair ( clients have often brought with them their very soft office feet). Several other medical type items. gloves, camera, mini tripod for camera, Sharpening steel, knives, replacement peep sight for the rifle. Dry socks. etc etc.

On the belt is a full function leatherman, ammo holder and flashlight. I'm like the Professional hunting Batman with a utility belt. It's been on so many hunts with me over the time I've owned it. Safe to say every hunt I've been one with hundreds of clients. I have opened and closed that top zipper a gazillion times and stuffed it with so much, even a down jacket on occasion.

Later in the fall I have used the Spike camp, when more is needed or longer trips from the camp or vehicle are taken. I've been dreaming of that coyote brown tailgunner as an upgrade from the Tour. I'm checking the for sale list daily here now for that! Its a safe statement that the " Tour" Lumbar pack has had the most use without failure of any thing I have ever owned with a zipper.

One further comment, in South Africa when you visit, do not refer to these as " Fanny packs" .......... lumbar pack is a much better more polite word that will eliminate the confusion of saying what you want to put into your fanny pack.

Without a doubt my E&E. I've had it for roughly 10 years (not sure exactly when they came out). It has been my EDC purse/ daypack for a decade. Like my car keys, wallet and pistol, I don't leave home without it. I carry a compass, Excedrin, contact lens case, leatherman, petzl headlamp, surefire 6P, two rings of work keys, sunblock, lipbalm, wallet, triangle bandage, magnesium/ flint stick, lighter, etc. in it. Obviously in addition to this stuff I often throw in my DSLR with a tripod on the outside, or a couple water bottles and a jacket, or spare M4 or MP5 magazines and a blow out kit...just depending on what I'm doing that day. Without a doubt it is the best $80 or so dollars I've ever spent on a piece of gear.

When Kifaru opens on Monday I'll be ordering my Late Season. Hopefully I'll have many fun times ahead and that pack will make the list as well.

#1) Kifaru 8 man Tipi tent with large Kifaru stove. Perfect shelter for car and winter camping. It's amazing when you get that stove nice and red hot. No matter what's happening outside, you're going to be warm and dry

#2) KU 5200 pack with KU Koala. Very nice Back Pack system. Amazingly light. Just don't get it near a flame.

#3) Kifaru Marauder. Perfect size for day trips, snow shoeing and EDC. I've carried a 30 pack of PBR in it.

Last edited by tendeerfeet; 01-22-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: added photo

Zulu - I have owned mine for 10 years now.
    Marauder - Ran one as a medic bag in Iraq.
    Mountainsmith Elite 5000 - Use this a my mountaineering pack. Its is a top loader/panel loader. The lid also turns into a hip pack. I am trying to lighten it up with some g-hooks and thinking about switching to carbon fiber stays from Kifaru.
    Slick 20 degree sleeping bag. I have used this on many hikes and Army trips. Best sleeping pag I have owned.

Like many here, I own my favorites and they make me very happy when I am using them.

G-1 Longhunter

Express

4-Man tipi

Medium stove

I think about and look at the new goodies...maybe when a need arises I'll go there.
    non-traditional recurve shooter

Mountain Smith Day Lumbar pack.
    "The best training was to go to the pub, drink 5 quarts of beer, and talk about climbing."
    ~ Ron Fawcett

Just picked up a Mountainsmith Frostfire 5 for the wife. Nice design with the clam shell opening. Suspension looks like Kifaru duplex suspension. Lid converts to a day pack.

#1 is Gun barer
    #2 is MolleX
    #3 is Pak-Loc windshirt

I like a lot of Kifaru's designs. I just wish I had more time to play with them