Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bore Cleaning Solvents

Default Re: Bore Cleaning Solvents

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole View Post
    John, I haven't used either one. I'd never heard of Blue Wonder, so checked out their web page. There was no information on what's in it, but the web information did include a couple things that I thought were interesting. According to their web page, it removes copper chemically in minutes, and it will cause the bore to rust if you don't apply oil to the bore after using it. I'd be hesitant to use it without knowing what's in it and seeing some test data on whether it has the potential to cause pitting.
    Excellent point Smokepole. I use Blue Wonder but not very often. It seems to do a good job removing copper. However, after giving some thought to your comments, I may stick to Hoppes and Shooter's Choice. Thank you for your post.

John in Texas

You're welcome John. If you have a rifle that really copper fouls, you owe it to yourself to try some wipeout. Just let it sit overnight and it's clean, with no elbow grease needed.
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

I'll give it a try. Everyone who uses it and posted seems to like it. What have I got to lose? Thanks Smokepole.

John in Texas

I have gotten out of the super cleaning deal. I don't know how it works from looking at the list of claimed ingredients, but Ballistol actually delivers on claims. I can see how an oil will break down carbon, but after a barrel has sit for awhile with Ballistol in the bore I will get a blue-green patch out of it and have also had it dissolve lead fouling. All of this was once I started using only the Ballistol in it instead of using separate solvents. Not as fast as separate solvents, but it does the trick.

Thanks Orange for taking the time to reply. I've had several excellent suggestions. No need to reinvent the wheel with all of the available knowledge from the forum members.

John in Texas