Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bore Cleaning Solvents

Default Bore Cleaning Solvents

Hello everyone. I would like to start a discussion on bore cleaning solvents. I'm mainly interested in what everyone uses for routine cleaning and how well it works for you. Please talk about your favorite copper and/or powder solvent. I have used several different ones. While all have worked fairly well, none seem to stand out. Maybe this might be a good opportunity for a discussion on cleaning techniques. What do you say gang? Anyone care to weigh in?

John in Texas

Default Re: Bore Cleaning Solvents

Hello John, we had a similar discussion a while back, this might be good for a start:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthre...t=33318&page=2
    "Neither sport nor art should be unnecessarily cluttered and complicated."

Thanks Smokepole.

What are your thoughts on Shooter's Choice and Blue Wonder?

John in Texs

Well..............I almost never clean my firearms. Like honestly nearly never. When guiding and spending three months solid in the crappy Alaskan fall weather, when I got home and could take a shower, I would take the guide'gun into the shower and wash it with soap and warm water, leave it dry, hose it with lubricant (in & out) run a dry patch down the bore, re-hose the bore w/lubricant, and park it muzzle down till needed next spring.

I have a 175 Yard private range, and shoot about 3 or 4 times a week..........and my guess is maybe five years ago I cleaned a firearm. Set it on the woodpile & poured diesel fuel all over it, wiped it dry, ran a patch down the bore, and called it good. I must have 12 or 15 new unopened gun cleaning kits.

In the field I would just use cooking oil for a lubricant & rust inhibitor. Don't obsess about accuracy either, Now boots, socks & my feet they get the best of the best available.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 07-12-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Well..............I almost never clean my firearms. Like honestly nearly never. When guiding and spending three months solid in the crappy Alaskan fall weather, when I got home and could take a shower, I would take the guide'gun into the shower and wash it with soap and warm water, leave it dry, hose it with lubricant (in & out) run a dry patch down the bore, re-hose the bore w/lubricant, and park it muzzle down till needed next spring.

I have a 175 Yard private range, and shoot about 3 or 4 times a week..........and my guess is maybe five years ago I cleaned a firearm. Set it on the woodpile & poured diesel fuel all over it, wiped it dry, ran a patch down the bore, and called it good. I must have 12 or 15 new unopened gun cleaning kits.

In the field I would just use cooking oil for a lubricant & rust inhibitor. Don't obsess about accuracy either, Now boots, socks & my feet they get the best of the best available.
    Do you have similar personal hygiene habits....were you formerly PVT Strubble at Ft Wainwright many years ago?

I don't obsess over clean guns either. I try not to clean my work guns until I get over five hundred rounds through them. I keep gun books and keep track. My 6920 has gone 2500 rounds in three days without cleaning. My 1911 has done 1100 in two days without cleaning. They were well lubed and didn't fail. I had a rather experienced friend who recommended cleaning my guns at the range and then putting a mag through them. Another friend who tends to shoot 60,000 to 80,000 rounds a year cleans his guns roughly twice a month unless he sees a need to do so sooner. One buddy's AR did about 4300 rounds in a week long BC class before the accuracy fell off enough to demand cleaning. I clean my hunting rifle in December when it goes into the safe, and right before my trip, with a mag to foul it when I am done.

I don't use any specific solvent or lube, normally it is what I need (ammonia based if I need to cut copper fouling, ect ). Otherwise whatever is on sale or available, including OP stuff. Every couple of years I make a big batch of Ed's Red and use it as a dip for pistol barrels and stripped frames and find it sufficient for 90% of my uses. I am a little pickier about lubes, but any is better than none.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by John in Texas View Post
    Thanks Smokepole.

What are your thoughts on Shooter's Choice and Blue Wonder?

John in Texs
    John, I haven't used either one. I'd never heard of Blue Wonder, so checked out their web page. There was no information on what's in it, but the web information did include a couple things that I thought were interesting. According to their web page, it removes copper chemically in minutes, and it will cause the bore to rust if you don't apply oil to the bore after using it. I'd be hesitant to use it without knowing what's in it and seeing some test data on whether it has the potential to cause pitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    When guiding and spending three months solid in the crappy Alaskan fall weather, when I got home and could take a shower, I would take the guide'gun into the shower and wash it with soap and warm water, leave it dry, hose it with lubricant (in & out) run a dry patch down the bore, re-hose the bore w/lubricant, and park it muzzle down till needed next spring.
    I've never heard of such a thing. If I had a guide gun, I wouldn't coddle it in the shower. I'd just lash it to the roof of the truck and run it through the car wash. Twice if it was really dirty.

shooters choice is a decent solvent. is does depend on your particular need to choose the right solvent. there are various lead, copper, plastic and carbon solvents available.

the inventor of shooters choice gave me a sample in 1999 and i used shooters choice for several years. it is about as good as any for general use. for that matter hoppes is too.

i have many solvents stored and will choose what is needed for the job at hand. i guess the shower will always be there[just in case]

never considered the car wash. for that matter why not tie a rope to it and pull it behind the raft on the way down river? or tie it to a float on the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by rayporter View Post
    for that matter why not tie a rope to it and pull it behind the raft on the way down river?
    Good idea but on the rivers I float, the banks are private land and it's illegal to drop anchor......