Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives

Default Knives

What knife do you guys carry in any of the following scenarios: every day, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting? I'm curious about brands, blade length & steel. Also what do you use to maintain you edge, sharpening system?

I carry a Benchmade bone collector daily & plan to replace it soon. Previously I carried a Benchmade mini grip. I also have an assortment of other knives I rotate into daily use that are mostly Case knives. When hiking I carry a Buck fixed blade which the model evades me. For fishing I have a cheap filet knife.
    Last edited by MikeB1273; 06-30-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Default Re: Knives

Everyday carry is a swiss army hunter and a 3 1/4 in ceramic folder. The ceramic folder just caught my fancy. It is light and is my longer blade. I did use it to gut a turkey that I hit with my truck. When I am backpacking, I carry a 4 in mora cause I can beat the cr-- out of it and not worry because it is a $20 knife. Hunting, I carry a Dozier semi-skinner. Like many here, I have too many knives.

I rarely carry only one. I almost always carry a Schrade (USA) Uncle Henry mini-Stockman and a Gerber Dime multi-tool.

I don't do much hiking anymore but when I do, and when camping, I add an AG Russell Woodswalker as a neck knife and a Marttiini All-purpose Puukko on my belt.

Fishing depends. For trout I usually have a old Gerber Fish & Small Game and a Walton's Thumb multi-tool. For other species I use a Marttiini filet knife, either the 4" or the 6" and the Gerber Fisherman multi-tool.

I don't do big game, for small game I add a Marble's Small Game knife or a Buck Bird knife (with the blunt gutting hook). Most anytime I am in the woods I will have a Victorinox knife with a saw, either the Hiker or the Hunter lockblade.

My two go to brands are Bark River and Turley. My current favorites are the Bark River Bushcrafter (CPM3v, which is amazing stuff) and a Turley Soldier River (O1). The common denominator is that they are both convex ground knives, so in the field I carry a small double-sided leather strop and a strip of sandpaper, to keep the edges sharp.

I EDC a Zero Tolerance 350 which also comes along on short/familiar hikes. If I'm camping or hiking somewhere farther out or somewhere I'm not familiar with I carry either my Gerber LMF or a KA-BAR USMC knife. I recently bought a Blind Horse Knives Bone Trapper neck knife which might replace my ZT in the woods.

For EDC I highly recommend the Zero Tolerance 350. It's a little pricy though. I like the KA-BAR a little more than the Gerber, mostly because I don't really dig on serrations. Aside from that the Gerber LMF is a phenomenal knife (IMO).

Aloha Kakou from somewhere beween the Oscillations

EDC:
    Used to be a Moore Maker Roper Jr. Till I lost it
    Currently:
    -Moore Maker Trail Boss
    -Leatherman Squirt PS4
    -Speedy Sharp Sharpener

Camping:
    -Moore Maker Trail Boss
    -Leatherman Squirt
    -Traditional Filipino Weapons: Pakal #2
    -Traditional Filipino Weapons: Ginunting or Kukri
    -Cold Steel Trail Hawk (not often when Kukri or Ginunting are packed)
    -Speedy Sharp Sharpener

Backpacking:
    -Moore Maker Trail Boss
    -Leatherman Squirt
    -Pakal # 2
    -Speedy Sharp

Hunting (on foot - not from base camp):
    -Moore Maker Roper Jr. (haven't hunted since I lost it)
    -Leatherman Squirt
    -Pakal #2
    -Havalon Piranta + spare blades

Some items that I've recently acquired that I want to start incorporating:
    - 2Hawks Double Bit Nessmuk Axe
    - Jeff White Custom Nessmuk Skinner

With the Moore Maker Trail Boss, this is my first traditional Nessmuk Trio.

I usually avoid Stainless Steels, as I'm fairly rough on my blades and have snapped pretty much every Stainless blades I've owned. Ive had great experience with Carbon Steel blades and prefer these. The TFW blades I mentioned above are 5000 series (5140, I think) HC steel. Other 1000 series and other tool steels (D2) have been used to great satisfaction. I typically put a patina on my HC blades using vinegar for rust resistance.

The stainless I own now is the Leatherman Squirt and a Outdoor Edge SwingBlade (AUS-8) <- which I am about to sell.

I dont know much technical info on the type of grind on these blades, but I will sharpen and reprofile my Pakal based on the scenario. If I'm cuttin rope, cord, I may not strop, leaving a more rough jagged edge which powers through heavy hemp type rope. I'll put a more extreme angle if doing finer carving/feathers, or put a more blunt/acute angle for batoning and hard bushcraft use.

With the Nessmuk trio, I'll have 5 edges that I can keep the grind more consistent. Double Bit will have one side for cutting and one side for chopping. The Skinner will be set up for general food and game prep tasks, while the Trail Boss' two blades can have the splay blade set up for carving work and the other (sorta drop point-ish) a little rougher for cordage cutting, etc.

Like many other as Mark S. mentioned, I have too many blades and at the same time, not enough. My grandpa was a panday (Filipino Bladesmith), and he is who influenced my love of cutlery. As a boy i would watch him take leaf spring steel from the dump and sit in the front yard shaping and forging his blades (a small anvil, ball peen, and old school torch were his tools). To many Filipinos, the knife is a symbol of Freedom, much akin to our reverence for the 2nd Ammendment, here in the US.

Anyway, after reading all your posts and writing mine, I feel I need a new blade! Very intrigued by Iz's work at Turley, as well as a few offerings from Bark River. I've been in contact with a maker named Muskrat Man to have a custom knife made with the antler crown section of my first bill elk as handles! My name is mojoslim, and I am addicted to knives.
    MojoSlim

I didn't think about it until rereading the replies but I also carry a Gerber Diesel multi tool. In my first aid kit I have a Case tiny trapper with a surgical steel blade. I dedicated it there because of it's size & sharpness, it's very scalpel like. I use a Spyderco sharpmaker sharpening system & an assortment of different diamond stones.

A Leatherman Skeletool goes with me everywhere, ML knives Kephart Fisher is my beater, and a Dozier for skinning.

Doc

I carry a Benchmade for EDC, and have a Buck lite attached to my 10/22 when I am out in the woods. I am putting some serious thought into getting a Hallon set of blades.

I like Tops Knives, and ESEE Knives. I have a knife I designed at the prototype level for Tops at the moment. Hope it goes public soon I am sure many will like it.