Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives

Default Re: Knives

EDC is a Victorinox Sak - either a solo, huntsman or a slightly smaller than normal model (big blade,small blade, bottle opener and can opener, maybe a cadet ?)
    And a Vic Swisstool

Around home i find all sorts of stuff in my pockets or on my belt - the standard EDC plus a spyderco, or a BRKT, or a Carbidized Titanium blade by Daniel Fairly

Most frequently used are BRKT Gunny, Byrd Wings , Spyderco Salt (either pacific or atlantic) or the DFK Ti BOK

I dont hunt - but if i go bush i typically have my normal EDC, the BRKT Gunny in my pack or car and a BRKT PSK in my pocket
    I also have a Fiskars X15 axe in the trunk of the car (under the floorboard with my spare tyre) and a Bahco folding saw in my pack

everyday?

case knife my stepdad gave me before he passed. i love it and i didnt think i would. very old school in my high tech world. avocados dont stand a chance. it is with me always. (blade is a tad narrow for effective cream cheese spreading on the bagel..but the bagel is sliced nice!)

hiking? things get more "robust". Benchmade Eislewitze. bombproof and after a factory visit, sharp as a laser.

hunting? i go cheap now. $15 Mora Companion. i am using a rock to tap that thing through some bones i shouldnt. amazing what i'm willing to do to a inexpensive knife. i have a better knife, but it is not as sharp as the high carbon steel of a Mora. i can shave with it.

car-side animal butchering? i use a vintage Forgecraft high carbon butcher knife i bought at an antique show for $5.

every day I rotate between a Buck Crosslock, Buck Vantage and a well worn benchmade...

Hiking there is either a Mora surplus or a Blind Horse Snap Knap and a multitool

Fishing, multitool and rapalla fillet knife

Hunting is a Rapalla hunting knife and a gerber skinner/saw combo...

back pack hunting the plan is to keep the gerber set and throw in my Blind Horse Nessmuk along with a hand axe...

Here is my case. 1976 stockman. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372717787.423045.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  34.5 KB

Very nice Stockman, that's probably my favorite of all Case knives. I had a Amber Jigged Bone medium Stockman that was the sharpest edc knife I've ever had. I discovered it was gone when I found a small hole in the bottom of my pocket while working in a chemical plant. Everything there was covered in rock & there was no possible way I would find it, & I did try.

ZT 0350. Victorinox Champion. $26 shipped on eBay, couldn't pass it up. SOG Powerassist.

.....and that's the EDC list. Because why choose. Right?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

i was just about to order a ZT tiger stripe with partial serrations. ZT0350TSST or something..BUT i spent all my "mad money" on my pack. i had to ask myself two questions: what did i need more? and what would i use more? the pack won!

those ZT's are nice. i have plenty of benchmades to fill any knife voids i might feel..but i am gonna get that blade oneday.

Late to the party, but was moved by events yesterday. While helping to set up for an Independence Day festival we were working with lots of ropes, tents and camouflage nets. There were about 30 of us working together, including 10 or more GI's as well as retirees. The first call for a knife went out and I didn't pay much attention as I assumed that with 30 guys there about 40 knives would be offered to the poor soul without one. The call went out again and I looked up and saw there was no response. So I tossed the fellow my SAK. The only other knife to make a showing while we worked was a large folder from a retired SF Engineer. Both knives made the rounds several times. It is amazing that so many men didn't carry a knife. My EDC is the SAK Climber. The one currently in my pocket is the 4th iteration as TSA has graciously taken ownership of the first three. When I say EDC I mean Every Day. When I die they will find it in my left front pocket, regardless of what I'm wearing. If I'm hunting, it's in my left front pocket, regardless of what other knives I'm carrying. If at a funeral it's in the left front pocket of my suit pants, if I'm wearing my flamingo pink thong it's in my left front pocket (I have a cargo thong). I'd rather leave the house without pants then without my knife (although then I'd not have a left front pocket).

Nice. I have one on me 100%. Most days it's a hangnail or bagel that needs cutting

I always have my Benchmade on me & a Buck 110 folder I'm my bag. Then there is the Case in my FAK.