Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 WSM Loads for Tikka T3 Lite

Default 300 WSM Loads for Tikka T3 Lite

I'm helping a friend load for his new Tikka. I'd prefer to use 168 Barnes TTSX's as I greatly prefer monolithic rounds over lead grenades when it comes to putting meat on the table. The Barnes load data suggest RL15, but the top-end velocities look a tad anemic at 3060fps over 58.5 grains. What other powders should I consider for a hunting cartridge that needs to perform exceptionally well in a wide range of temperatures?

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.
    Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide. - James Brunham
    Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum!

Default Re: 300 WSM Loads for Tikka T3 Lite

Bushcraft I use IMR 4350 in my 30 06 with 165's and get decent velocity (I was never a speed demon but 56.5 grs. gets me 2900 fps) and great accuracy. You probably won't get quite the high speed from it but you might like the accuracy.

I dunno, I think 165's at 2,900 fps is friggin' great velocity out of an '06! I'm with you. I'll take accuracy over velocity any day. I've seen 4350 pop up a few times in my search. Are you planning to bring some pea-shooters to the NW Rondy? After all, you need to get some practice in for those sweet tags you drew.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
    Failing to prepare is, generally speaking, preparing very well to do the wrong thing.

I may bring something but I am so scattered right now (sold a house, bought a house and have to move etc.) that it may have to be a game time decision. My reloading stuff is packed so I may not get a chance to replenish which may mean I won't get to "play" with stuff I might be using much. As for powder you might look at H4831 too. I have had good results with it in everything from 243 on up (yeah I know it is too slow for that but it works) and it is my go to powder for my 300 Win. mag. This was probably not a good idea, but at one point we would just dip 243 cases in 4831 full to the brim, settle the powder, seat a bullet and shoot. No problems with pressure etc. and with lots of 10 pound barrels of surplus we got a lot of shooting done. Try it you might be surprised.

Check the Hornady Superformance Powder.

Mike gets the advertised velocity almost everytime in 308. And he gets about 180 faster with the factory loaded Superformance than any other 308 out there. I just bought some so we can duplicate his factory stash on the Dillon.

This is awesome by the way...Kevin gets a new rifle and it becomes YOUR lab experiment Can't wait to shoot it!
    "I hate exposure." 1st (Annual???) Super Secret Lunker Trout Lake, July 11, 2009

What do you mean my lab experiment? It's a "we" thing. I load the powder, he checks for pressure.
    Last edited by Bushcraft; 06-19-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Sounds like a lot of speed to me. At least it seems like it's quite an step above my Winchester 30-30 trapper.

Let me know if you break 3060fps with RL15 and Barnes 168TTSX. The best I could muster was just a tick over 3000fps with my Browning Abolt. The best accuracy that I got with RL15 and the 168TTSX was right around 57gr which was pushing 2930 or so FPS. Good accuracy, and with the higher BC its a really flat shooting round. Just load some up and try it.

Will do. With an extra 1.4", his Tikka juuuust miiiiiight be a smidge faster than the A-bolt's 23" barrel, unless you are shooting one of the 26" Eclipse models.

I've had good luck with RL 17 and a 180 gr Barnes TTSX. Just a bit over 3000 and a 24" bbl.
    I seek the forest for adventure and a free, open-air hunter's life