Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a compression sack to pack clothes

Default Using a compression sack to pack clothes

Looking for any recommendations on using compression sacks to pack clothes.

I will be FOB hopping using a Marauder and would like to keep the outside of the pack clear of pouches. Having said that I think I will be forced to mount a pod on the bottom for my sleeping bag. I plan to get a grab it to carry my helmet on the outside as well.

I will carry my laptop inside the Marauder even though I have an E&E, which is where I normally carry it. I was thinking of getting a radio pouch and mounting it on the inside next to the frame and using that for the laptop (Mac Book Pro 13"). I also plan to mount some LnLs on the inside flap for my toiletries, cables, etc.

Anyway back to the clothes.

I will probably carry the following:

2 pants
    2 collard shirts
    1 MC pants
    1 MC combat shirt
    2 pair of shorts
    2 T-shirt
    2 pair socks
    2 pair underwear
    VFFs
    Crocs

I believe this COP has laundry support so I may get away with just one pant/shirt combo.

1. What size compression sack would be best?

2. Would you just throw all the clothes inside a sack and compress or would you carry some items, such as socks and underwear in another sack?

Thanks in advance.

TJ

Default Re: Using a compression sack to pack clothes

compression sacks don't make anything lighter, in fact, they add weight because a compression sack is heavier. They will quickly destroy the loft of synthetic insulation as well. Get a larger pack.

Rgr I understand. Maybe I didn't phrase my question properly.

I plan to use the compression sack for my clothes. I'm not talking about anything with loft, just your basic 511 pants, collard shirt, etc. On the page describing the compression sacks it specifically mentions clothing, I figure someone out there might be using it for clothes.

I'm not concerned about weight, I just want to create more space.

All of that and the laptop should fit in a Marauder with no problem. I just did a 3 day trip to the in-laws with my XRay (which has the same "beavertail" opening) and fit than much and my Vasque Sundowners and a pair of cap toe oxfords for church. With the Marauder, fold stuff so items are the dimensions of the panel that's against your back, and stack. Sandwich the laptop between layers, then pile in the small stuff.

I don't think a compression sack saves room with clothes, short term for sleeping bags and stuff, but flat folding or rolling for clothes is your best bet...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
    "Count your blessings and you will never finish" - Fr. Jim Babb, SJ

In my experience, the compression sack has saved me room with clothes. It has done exactly as advertised by putting my stuff inside, and keeping it compressed down. Without the sack, Im sure my clothes would compress down close to as much, but it would require a solid amount of weight to do that.

I would put all of the stuff in the sack and compress it, without the crocs. those will definitely NOT compress at all, so putting them in would be wasted space. I think with that amount, it SHOULD fit in a medium size sack, but I would probably do the large to be safe.

Another tip for anyone who has stuff sacks. Store them inside out to avoid the compression strings getting tangled together. ask me how i know

I can't recommend which size of Kifaru compression sack to use; but, I believe your thinking and reasoning are sound. My personal opinion is to use two, one for clean, one for dirty. I know clothes will compress under a load; but, there is no telling, in your daily activities what you will need to access. In my opinion, using the compression sacks, though not lowering weight (which is not your concern) will definitely improve the usable space.
    Last edited by BigSky; 04-05-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Clothes is not spelled "close" so I thought I should change it.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

I pack in them... I change t-shirts, socks and underwear more often so I store them separately.

Thanks guys.

I think I will get a large compression sack and give it a go.

I will probably keep my underclothes separate for the reason already mentioned. At the moment I'm trying to decide on this winters clothing lineup. I'm thinking this may require another compression sack, not sure yet. I may have to rethink keeping the outside clean.

Grab it, compression sack, three LnLs, medium pod, I hope my current contract holds up until I get this stuff paid off.

I use Space Bags to compress my clothes into flat slabs when backpacking. They make some now that you don't need a vacuum cleaner to use, just put the stuff in, close it up, then ROLL it like a sleeping bag or sleeping pad and it pushes the air out for you. Check them out here: https://www.spacebagbrand.com/To-Go-Roll-Up.dtm.

Quote Originally Posted by larryschwartz View Post
    I use Space Bags to compress my clothes into flat slabs when backpacking. They make some now that you don't need a vacuum cleaner to use, just put the stuff in, close it up, then ROLL it like a sleeping cheap lingerie bag or sleeping pad and it pushes the air out for you. Check them out here:
    Those bags looks nice and effective but what is your thought about using lingerie bags? I think they are very effective too
    Last edited by LowellCa; 04-21-2013 at 09:56 PM.