Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
KU 5200 load handling
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KU 5200 load handling

Default KU 5200 load handling

So I am looking at buying the KU5200 but first wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this pack under heavy loads. My main purpose to purchase this pack it to save 4-5 lbs. on the pack alone but am concerned about how it handles and carries under a heavy load such as backpack hunting while carrying out a boned out quarter or so, say total pack weight of 80-100lbs. Just curious how the light weight design of the pack will handle such load.

Default Re: KU 5200 load handling

Might be apples and oranges to some extent but I carried elk quarters in my KU3700 this year. The pack out was about 2 1/2 miles cross-country from backcountry camp to Jeep, more like 3 total miles from the kill site. MY KU3700 did not just carry the weight, it carried the weight extremely well. Pack did not slip down from my waist, did not threaten to throw me off balance, did not cause any discomfort.

I don't have any other Kifaru packs but there will be more in my future.

No that helping seeing as it is just a smaller version. Was you pack full at the time you carried out the elk. If you don't mind me asking how did you attach the elk to the pack. My current pack zips open and has a separate place to carry any meat away from all your other gear.

I have a KU5200 and it carries loads just fine in the range you mentioned. Just pack it in a way that the heaviest part of your load in centered on your back and NOT in the bottom of the pack.

2012 Sheep

2011 Sheep

Last edited by stid2677; 11-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.

[QUOTE]I have a KU5200 and it carries loads just fine in the range you mentioned. Just pack it in a way that the heaviest part of your load in centered on your back and NOT in the bottom of the pack. /QUOTE]

Agree with this. Center the heavy part on your back and close to your back.

I carried the individual quarters out one at a time. I loosened all the straps, put my gear (not all my gear, just gear that I always have on my person like a shell jacket) in the bottom, and then dropped the quarter into the bag and pulled all the compression straps down SNUG. I first put the quarter in a game bag and then inside a heavy duty trash bag to keep the KU3700 clean.

I have never boned-out the quarters, but will be doing so in the future. I think I can pack an entire elk out in two trips if I remove the heavy leg bones. Each of the two trips would include a hind quarter, front quarter, backstrap, tenderloin, some rib meat. I would have to make a separate trip for my camping gear. I know there are guys that can carry more weight - and with a KU5200 you could definitely do it - but I am not one of those guys.

See that is my concern. Keeping my gear and pack clean when I put the meat inside. I saw that a gear chair is available so that might be another option. So many options its hard to choose

Good points offered so far! An entire boned out elk in two trips is quite a feat. My experience has been that it takes me four trips with a ~4K cubic inch Kifaru pack for a cow elk for the country I hunt in. It depends largely on the size of the animal, and the terrain and distance to be traveled, in addition to your own fitness. Like you said, there are guys who can carry more. I'm 130 pounds soaking wet...I cannot carry a 100 pound pack, or even a 75 pound pack in tall country. And I'm in shape.
    "Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
    Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria, 1902

www.tenkaratracks.com

An entire boned out elk in two trips is quite a feat.
    Thinking about this some more and think you are right. I'm guessing the best I could do would be three hard trips for an entire boned out cow, maybe four trips for a bull. Don't know how much the leg bones weight, but probably not enough when removed to cut the number of trips in half. Hope I get a chance to debone an elk next year.

I'm noticing that most of the kifaru packs are advertised as the bag only. So I assume one then has to buy a fame to attachable and carry the pack too. Is this also the case with the ultra lights models, more specifically the ku5200

@sdnative13,

No, all the KU packs have frames attached. Actually, the majority of Kifaru packs have the frames permanently attached to the pack bag.
    "Heal with steel"
    Buckaroomedic

"Noli nothis permittere te terere."